Propellor Shaft Material

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
Our Huter 31 (1984) is on the hard having a new bottom job done. While we were at it we decided to have the cutlass bearing replaced and also the stuffing box boot was rotten out so the yard pulled the shaft for convenience in replacing these other components.

The propeller shaft was all green with corrosion. It is obviously some type of bronze/copper/brass. The yard manager said he had never seen a shaft like this in the hundreds of boats they work on, usually they are stainless.

Does anyone know if copper alloy shafts were standard with Hunters or was this more likely a PO replacement?

In any extent, it is worn pretty badly to where they had to put tons of stuffing into the stuffing box to keep it from leaking. We are having the shaft replaced.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ours is a copper brass "blend" and not uncommon. Do they work mainly on powerboats perhaps?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My '85 Hunter had a bronze shaft from the factory.. .. not uncommon.. shaft should not be stainless but "Aquamet" kind of alloy..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It would concern me that a boat yard manager had never seen a bronze prop shaft. Hope they know their way around shaft replacement and alignment.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our 1989 Hunter 30 shaft is bronze.
I can't imagine an experienced maintenance yard not having seen them unless they only work on power boats.

Ken

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Just last year I ordered an Aquamet material prop shaft for my h326 from this very site. Fits like a charm. :D

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Brass is an alloy of copper & zinc. Bronze is an alloy of copper & tin. An alloy of copper, zinc & tin is both a brass & a bronze. It is not uncommon for alloys of brass or bronze to also contain other materials, like aluminum, lead, or silicone. I believe that both brass & bronze have been used as prop shaft materials over the years. I have probably seen more bronze than brass. I made a replacement shaft out of aluminum bronze for someone many years ago, but did not hear back any reports on longevity. These days, common brass & bronze alloys tend to be more expensive than common stainless alloys. Brass & bronze are usually much easier to machine.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Wow! That tutorial is worth a tip to Compass Marine even if all you are going to do is spec the work to a tradesman. What a resource.