PROPELLER ON A HUNTER 41AC

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I have a fixed 3 blade 18x 12 prop. on a yanmar 4jh3e 50 hp. Please share your setting. I would like to buy a folding prop but the price is high.
Any one with a campbel prop out there ?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I bought my 41 with a 3 blade, it has a 4jh4e which is 56hp. After hitting a log, long annoyance of a story, I pulled in and had it changed to the two blade that was on board as a spare. Much nicer sailing and a bit harder docking. I purchased a Brunton's auto prop. Best purchase ever. Faster sailing, faster motoring, incredible motor sailing. I know it's a chunk of change but it returns cash to your pocket every time the machinery is turning. If you go that route buy it from King Propulsion, Rod is awesome.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I bought my 41 with a 3 blade, it has a 4jh4e which is 56hp. After hitting a log, long annoyance of a story, I pulled in and had it changed to the two blade that was on board as a spare. Much nicer sailing and a bit harder docking. I purchased a Brunton's auto prop. Best purchase ever. Faster sailing, faster motoring, incredible motor sailing. I know it's a chunk of change but it returns cash to your pocket every time the machinery is turning. If you go that route buy it from King Propulsion, Rod is awesome.
size ?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Don't know they are both up at the boat and I am not at the boat unfortunately. But they might be a little different than yours just because of the 6 hp difference on the boats. Make sure you are hitting the proper WOT RPM for your motor and you are fine.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My son has an 18 d 11p Campbell Sailer prop on his 2000 410. His engine is 50 or 54 hp. Pushes his boat at 8kts. Verified by GPS no current and me alongside in my H466. I have a three blade flexofold and can do 8.6 Wot. Imagine my surprise when he passed me while he was towing an inflatable we later discovered was 2/3 full of water. He sails just as well. That CS prop is amazing.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
My two blade is a Martec RH 18DX13P 1 1/4" hub.
The only way to properly size a propeller is to read your RPM at WOT and make sure it is within spec. This should be done with a professional RPM meter not the one in the dash board.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
My son has an 18 d 11p Campbell Sailer prop on his 2000 410. His engine is 50 or 54 hp. Pushes his boat at 8kts. Verified by GPS no current and me alongside in my H466. I have a three blade flexofold and can do 8.6 Wot. Imagine my surprise when he passed me while he was towing an inflatable we later discovered was 2/3 full of water. He sails just as well. That CS prop is amazing.
Mikem how is the drag of the Campbell under sail ?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Check the study done by Yachting Monthly I think done in 2009. Least drag of any fixed three blade and equal to a fixed two blade. Also check out Campbell Sailer Website. I think Flexofold might also have the study on their website as well.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I would like to have direct imput from sailors, for what i could read in this forum my boat is 1 knot slower under sail and almost 1 knot under power. As i am in tropical water all day long, the problem with a non fixed prop is that you have to clan it every month, if not the wildlife grow so fast that in two months will be inoperable.