Potable Water Tank Install Help

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Hello everyone. I hope your summer is going well. I own a 1981 O'day 22 and the existing water tank is toast. I purchase a new tank from Wholesale Marine, made by Todd, recently and it is supposedly configured as a holding tank and a water tank. It has two 1.5" ports and two .5" ports. The extra 1.5" port I as just going to seal off using the orange cap. Here are my questions:
1. I can stand it up on its end where the ports are on top to easily fill via lazarette, but then the hose I connect for the supply will not be in contact with the water. I previously used a barbed fitting on the old tank and it was on its side, so it always had water contact but the fill access was on the top side, so it was much more convenient to fill it. Is there a workaround to have a tube inserted into the tank that goes to bottom like a spray bottle would? Or should I just leave it on its side as shown in the pic and be done with it?
2. For the other .5" port, I'm assuming I use for the vent. How would you approach constructing the vent tube? Assuming it rests as the pic shows I would use something with a 90 degree fitting. My previous tank had about 8'' of tube coming out the top. I can't remember how it was constructed! I never had a problem with it leaking when the boat heeled.
todd.jpg