Posting on the old forum

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
They just faded away. Mark cruising on a Catamaran gave up months ago. I can't post from my phone, only my laptop.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
CRS. Apparently I had differences between profile and passwords on the iPod and laptop. Too many passwords. I need to write them. At least l can post occasionally. Members on this board obviously have lots of experience. Valuable to me.

Earl

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If cookies are blocked it would be an issue. There are other settings but if the browser is in "Privacy" or "InPrivate" Mode, or set to block tracking, then cookies are blocked.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
It's a hard fact that many people (more than 50%) view this stuff on tablets and phones these days.

Jun 14, 2010
and I have no issues on my iPad or iPhone. I still think their issue stems from a browser setting.

Jun 14, 2010
It's free, and much more secure than paper or spreadsheets. The paid version will sync between multiple devices Mac/PC/Mobile and the Enterprise version at $2/month will sync certain shared passwords between multiple users. It also support 2-factor authentication, such as Google Authenticator and others that use the SAML standard.

I have no relationship with that company -- but I'm in IT and recommend it. It will make it easy to have a unique password everywhere so you never lose track or repeat the same password for sites. You will just need to remember one master password, which can be a sentence so it is long, complex, and easy to type/remember.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
He contacted and worked with Phil but they still couldn't figure it out.

Feb 11, 2017
Of course, that's easy for me to say. I have a flip phone and a laptop that I use as a desktop. Anyone who takes the trouble to break into the house will find far more information in my file drawer than by ferreting around for my written-down passwords. And why break into a guy's house to find one person's (OK, two) passwords when by hacking Target or Anthem they can get millions?

And what happens when the password manager gets hacked?

OK . . . I'm a bit paranoid about our online lives.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And what happens when the password manager gets hacked?
Not to get too far off topic, but any reputable password manager doesn't store your actual passwords, only your passwords encrypted by your master password. So if a hacker gets into the password manager, they still can't get your passwords unless they can guess your master password. Another advantage of a manager over paper is that the managers have browser plugins so that they can automatically input the passwords, which encourages the use of stronger passwords than if you have to type them manually.