Portable Air Conditioning Unit

May 23, 2016
Catalina 30, Tall Rig Oriental, North Carolina
I am a new Catalina 30 owner and need an air conditioning unit that can fit in the forward hatch. I've talked with Catalina Direct and they don't have one or know where to send me. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Look your local Craigslist and maybe here or even E-Bay,have seen many
used ones for sale.
I think used for sale many times they are not always well liked for what ever reason,so look used before spending $$$$$ and than may not be happy.
Nick

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Just noticed you are in Oriental. Try the Marine Consignment Shop they may know of one around for sail..
orientalmarineconsignment.com
look at Craigs List for oriental and New Bern..
The marine ones are outrageously expensive.. I had a little 6000 BTU unit in the companionway for a while until I installed a real unit ..They work well and will let ya sleep at night if you have shore power.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have not seen the Cruisair Carry On units being advertised in a while so they may not be making them anymore but you can probably still find a used one in good condition for around $250.

May 23, 2016
Thanks for the quick response. I am looking at this one. It's not the same size as the front hatch, and I don't know how to get rid of the condensation, or how to enclose the rest of the hatch, but that's the fun of a boat, right? lol

May 23, 2016
Joe, this is excellent! Thanks for the pictures. I wasn't sure if the unit was supposed to fit over the hatch or not. Where did you get the hatch cover that connects to the AC unit? Edward

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
Hey Ed sorry I don't know of any but own a hunter 30' and am in Bath. So if ya find one in the area let me know looking myself

Oct 15, 2008
Catalina 30 Mexico
Boat owners who stay over in La Paz during the summer purchase a regular window type airconditioner, place it on the deck next to the hatch you want to use, then construct a chute out of styrofoam panels to direct the air into the boat. Works well, very cost effective.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe, this is excellent! Thanks for the pictures. I wasn't sure if the unit was supposed to fit over the hatch or not. Where did you get the hatch cover that connects to the AC unit? Edward
It's included... click one of the pictures for details.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I know this is North Carolina thread, but perhaps there are lurkers. We just dropped a big pile of money on installed AC, so this has become surplus. Works fine.
$275
northern VA, Annapolis MD area
6720 BTU, 110V

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
i know you are trying to be helpful but wouldn't it have been better if you had said...... One is posted in the gear ads.....Look in the classified ads on this forum.......

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 Lake Ouachita, AR
I am using a Haier 10,000 BTU unit. See https://www.haierappliances.com/appliance/specs/hpp10xct.
I am using it in the slip so I can stand to work on the boat. I easily made an adapter from hardboard for the exhaust to go out the forward starboard port. It works fine. It would be noisy enough to interfere with sleep, and where I have it, it blocks the head door. I plan to make a replacement for the lower companionway drop board for it to exhaust there, so I can place it in the galley area when I need to.