Porta-potties & pump-out stations

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Thanks for all the help and I've got a case of Beer with your name on it!
You're not the only one who owes Peggy a few :beer:. I bet she could travel the country and not have to buy her own drinks. :)

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
The Dometic 975 fits in *my* Catalina 22, your mileage may vary. Mine is a 1974. It's very close, but the board will go over it (not that I use those boards).

I just have the pour-out spout on it right now and I'm out of town so I can't take a picture of what the MSD fittings look like. Basically the pour-out spout pops off and you replace it with a fitting that goes to the sewage hose and the vent.

At some point in the past my boat was rigged with a holding tank because it has the deck pumpout fitting and vent, as well as holes cut where the plumbing went. It doesn't match the new plumbing, of course....

I'm thinking that I might set it so that I can hook the deck pumpout for the (maybe) once a year when I'm in an area with pumpout, and then switch back to the pour spout for the rest of the year.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
So we are back from a week long trip to San Diego Bay sailing ,surfing, anchoring and 1 night at the public dock. The whole trip cost $22.00 for the slip !
I was able to use the pump-out station at the dock. The OD of the pump nozzle was a bit smaller then the ID of my Prota tube so I wrapped the pump nozzle with duck tape until it if snuggly into the porta tube and BINGO ! it worked great. Thanks for all the help.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Most likely, you can get a different size pump deck fitting that you'd buy and keep on the boat for use when YOU need it.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I am thinking a piece of an old wetsuit sleeve slipped over the end of the nozzle will work. Free!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Due to virus issues, I am assuming that our club's clubhouse will be closed this year. Which also means bathroom access problems.
So while the Porta Potti MSD idea was vetoed last spring, in spite of the my suggestions, it looks like I now have another project to do.:yikes:

In my search i found there is another company that now makes a porta potti MSD.

(The link above is the manufacturer so you will have to a find a retailer like the SBO store if you want one)

Specs show that the 5 gallon version is 16.3" high so the v-berth panel on a C22 won't fit without possible modification.
In our case we leave our v-berth cushions at home so not an issue.
Unit has a serviceable pump and and tank level window etc.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Interesting info...thanks!

Thetford discontinued the 550P MSD last year (as far as I know, they still make the portable 550P), although some retailers still had inventory in stock last time I checked. Dometic/SeaLand as the only one left--at least for sale here in the US anyway--until you found this one.

The Dometic and the Thetford are the same height, btw.
--Peggie

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The Dometic and the Thetford are the same height, btw.
Based on the specs i can find the Thetford 550P MSD is 16.5" high vs the Dometic 975 at 15 1/4"
This DockEdge Visa 319 model is 16.3"
Tiny difference but enough that you can't use the plywood backed V-Berth filler cushion with the taller unit.
(The insert on the New Design C22 is a one piece plywood+cushion insert, but someone could likely modify it to make the section above the toilet thinner, but cutting a hole in the plywood bottom and cutting the foam)

FWIW: I deleted my question in my other post because the 1" really can't be a big deal for headroom. It's not like I will be reading a book while using it. ;)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've known several people whose portapotties are under their v-berths who removed the lid to make it fit. The tank is sealed, and the bowl should be clean...so the cushion makes all the lid needed.

--Peggie

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I've known several people whose portapotties are under their v-berths who removed the lid to make it fit. The tank is sealed, and the bowl should be clean...so the cushion makes all the lid needed.

--Peggie
Makes sense. It's not like the lids seal anything in anyhow. they all have a big air gap around the sides.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The Dometic fits in my 87 new design with the v berth cushion but just barely. We sleep 5 on board so the V berth is a must have.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We sleep 5 on board
You have my deep respect for that. I think my wife and I could LIVE on our C22 for quite a while without a problem, but even one more soul aboard would change everything.

My parents lived aboard a 19 footer for a year with my sister and me, when we were tiny tots, but I sure don't know how. It takes love, I guess. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You have my deep respect for that. I think my wife and I could LIVE on our C22 for quite a while without a problem, but even one more soul aboard would change everything.

My parents lived aboard a 19 footer for a year with my sister and me, when we were tiny tots, but I sure don't know how. It takes love, I guess. :)
Love ? It may also be insanity ?
It's quite literally a chemical imbalance in the brain that is very similar to insanity :yikes:;)

Interesting info...thanks!
Here is more info:
Sanitation Equipment is the Manufacturer.

Parent company is CMP Group

Same company makes the Rocna Anchors.

Based on their website CMP bought "Sanitation Equipment" and possibly expanded their product line.
(Some reviews of the smaller non MSD toilet pre-date CMP group acquiring them)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg