pop top enclosure for catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2004
- - ct
s there anyone out there, that has a pattern for the catalina 22 pop top enclosure. I would love to make one for my catalina 22.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
pop-top

why not just buy a pop-top from someone that has parted out a c22?

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 22 Mayo, MD
I do

I have one and would gladly take pics next trip for you. It'll give me a chance to put it up and air it out a while as it normally stays tucked away most of the season.

22Nauti

Are you talking about a Dodger?

I have one stored in my shed. New...

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Poptop modification

This probably wouldn't be a good idea for Alaska, but we sail in the summer here in Oregon and the poptop enclosure makes it too hot in the cabin. We had a sailmaker remove the vinyl windows and replace them with screening. She also made the companionway entry portion into a screen as well. Now a breeze comes through the boat at night - very pleasant. Randy

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
We use a screen enclosure....

Ken: We have the pop-top cover, but we don't use it. It's a little stiff, heavy, and big. (Our boat is full with 2 teenaged boys, and their size 11 and 12 sneakers). The vinyl cover does work OK, especially in the rain. I even motored with it once across the bay, being inside it with a rope and bungie cord to the tiller, but this wasn't any fun, so we stopped doing it. What we use now is a screen cover for a sleeping bag. This is a little rectangular tent-like thing made from fabric screen, from a sporting goods store. It's just about the right size, and we just put it over the popped-up top, and drape it all around the sides. We still use our usual screen over the main hatchway. This isn't perfect, because we still have to put clothespins along the bottom edge to weight it down. I plan on sewing a rope around the bottom, but haven't gotten to do it yet. Another problem is that the mesh of the sleeping bag cover is for "no-see-ums". This is a little small and really cuts down on the airflow, but it's still better than having the top down. If it rains, we just lower the top. I have always felt that the ideal top would be made out of nylon with screens for windows, and possibly roll down panels over the windows. But I haven't had the time to make one of these yet, and maybe never will. Aldo What we

pkirk

Jul 8, 2004
- - Chicago, IL
Pop Top is tough to put on ...

I have used my Pop-top cover only occasionally since it is so darn tough to snap on ... does anyone have a tip for how I can make this easier? Is it best to start in the front?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not using it is the problem

The material ends up shrinking if you don't use it. Keep using it regularly so it'll stretch and hit the clips, pins, connectors, whatever they call' em. As for any piece of "canvas" on board, only you can be the judge of the "best" way that works for you. For instance, we roll our mainsail cover off from front TO back, and then roll it back on from aft to forward. Other people do it differently, but this works for us. We just got a new dodger cover and we're working on figuring that out. We'll eventually find the "easiest" way to do it. So will you. Stu

Jul 5, 2004
- - ct
pop top enclosure for a catalina 22

Greg, I am interested in speaking to you about the pop up enclosure. If you would like please eamil me @ Brewthru76@aol.com thanks Ken

Jun 2, 2004
- - Pennsylvania lake
Attaching pop top

Attach all of the snaps except the companion way with the top down, do not zip up in front of mast. The last .5 inch is the hardest push but, no harder than any one snap.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Pkirk

Pkirk: Those snaps have to be lubed every other year of so, or it's miserable to snap the buttons onto them. I think I use a white automotive grease stick to lube them. I lube the male part of the button. I have a few covers that need lubed on my boat now. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.