Pictures of your bilge covers - Hunter 27!

Mar 4, 2017
Hunter 27 Cherubini Seabrook, TX.
The bilge covers on my 1981 Hunter 27 were replaced by a previous owners son. They are "ok", but don't fit exactly quite right which creates loud cracking sounds when you step on them. They don't fit perfectly and the wood rubs against the fiberglass when weight is on top of them.

I would appreciate any help with detailed pictures so that I can see how the originals were made.

17097608_10155889375758852_8822869861155933145_o.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Can't provide a picture, but the originals were made of marine grade plywood with a thin teak wood veneer. Years ago I made some for an h27 from 3/4" marine plywood stained and laminated in epoxy to protect the underside against wetness. The h27 has a shallow bilge which will allow it to spill water and wet the boards when heeled. My fit was pretty tight but still had some creaking noises. I guess it is a factor of the floorboards being rather large. If they are flexible and bottoming out then they probably water damaged.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I don't have any pictures of my covers at the moment. I took them out to repair and refinish them, In the time being I made some temporary covers from 3/4" CDX plywood. At first they would creak as you mentioned, so I relieved the down side with a 1/2" round over bit in my router. No more creaking. The original covers were a marine grade 3/4" plywood with a teak/holly veneer face. The edge grain on the face veneer was chipped and broken away, so I laminated in 1 1/2' x 1/2" solid teak strip to protect the edge grain. If interested in what I did? When I get down to the shop tomorrow I'll take a pic of what I did.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
The prior owner cut replacement boards out of marine 3/4" plywood. To quiet some of the squeaking, I put masking tape on the inside edges of the fiberglass recess. It helped a bit. The last pic shows the boards painted with some leftover KiwiGrip. Looks better and adds some nonskid to the floor. Eventually, I would like to cut new boards from 3/4" teak and holly plywood.
20150729_153309.jpg
20160213_142942.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2017
Thanks!!
This cracking and creeking when I step on them is driving me up the wall! I've got to rebuild these things ASAP.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Hopefully these pictures help - I think FineFurn's comment about using a roundover bit is what the problem is, I will have to keep that in mind when I re-do these. These are my original floorboards, it may not be obvious from the photos, but it looks like these were rounded off and then they took a (belt) sander to the areas that squeaked and took those down farther to eliminate the squeaks.
2 other things I thought to point out are that the first, smaller floorboard was originally screwed into the bilge pan (the photo showing the corner with the screw hole). If you look in your that part of your bilge, you should see little holes in each corner which would correspond to the ones in the old floorboards that you no longer have. I think if you replace the board you could re-drill holes into the fiberglass bilge pan without problems, as long as you didn't drill too deep. This board was screwed in with SS screws and not intended to be removed. (pic 5) Both pieces of plywood are 3/4 in. with a teak & holly veneer over them.
The larger floorboard was intended to be lifted, since the bilge pump lives under there and all (most) of the water drains into there. That one was inset for a pull ring (pic. 3&6)
Finefurn - what did you use for your floorboards? 3/4" Pine A/B, or a sheet with either an oak or birch veneer? Although possibly you didn't go to a big-box store. ;-)
134011[/ATTACH] H27 Floorboards-2.jpg H27 Floorboards-3.jpg H27 Floorboards-4.jpg H27 Floorboards-5.jpg H27 Floorboards-6.jpg

Attachments

Mar 4, 2017
Thanks Dan!! Exactly what I needed! I want to recreate them as accurate as possible.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
On my '81 the covers are rabbited the width of the fiberglass lip they rest on. Don't know if they are like that from the factory or if done by a PO. Even keeping the ledges clean doesn't stop them rocking and creaking. Plan to add stiffeners to the underside when I get around to refinishing the cabin. A thin weatherproofing gasket all around might help the creaking...

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Here's some pics of mine

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Not sure if the rabbet is original or not since it doesn't go all the way around.