Photoday! Gloucester to Rockport via the Blynman Canal.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
6:50 am, anchored in Gloucester Harbor enjoying the morning rowers. It's the dawn of another windless scorcher.
Gloucester 6-50 am_.jpg

The Blynman Canals Southern entrance is in outer Gloucester Harbor. After a morning of exploring Gloucester, we headed for the canal as the tide finished flowing out. LW is not recommended for sailboats but we're a centerboard boat drawing 4'. And I have been through the canal a previous time a few years ago, at the preferred high water. With no wind or chance to sail to keep cool, I had a plan.

From my last passage through, I recalled beaches, enormous beaches, at the Northern end. So we shot through the first drawbridge at about noon, LW. It wasn't lost on me that we were the only sailboat surrounded by buzzing small motorboats. According to my depth sounder, we had enough water. Just enough water in fact in stretches but I never felt any contact with the nearby bottom. I stopped looking at the sounder and paid attention to the well defined channel on the GPS.

It's a lovely trip through this canal with changing vistas and interesting architecture both on shore and floating. The second bridge opened without a VHF call and the final is fixed at 65 feet.

Sure enough, the beaches were there.
Blynman Canal outlet_.jpg

We borrowed an empty mooring and jumped in! The water was clean and refreshing, the low tide beaches, endless. Swimming, wading, beaching combing were the best way to spend the hot mid day hours of these early August days of 2018.
Blynman Canal beach.jpg

The flooding current (which flows into both ends) put a bit more water on the shallowest stretch in the north end, so we headed for Rockport the lesser (coined by me to avoid confusion with,...the greater), around the corner of Cape Ann.

Based on harbor size alone, Rockport the lesser, doesn't even begin to describe how small the harbor is. We had reserved a mooring in the morning via cell phone so help arrived to get us 'into' our mooring. Fore and aft mooring anchors as there is no room to swing, it was too tricky to make the connection on the first try. For a second try, you have to go nearly back out to sea to turn around, and make another pass. But with perseverence, sweat and a little help from the staff, we were tied into the cats cradle of lines and buoys.
Rockport cats cradle mooring.jpg

First task was to rig the awning. The afternoon sun was relentless! We didn't dare leave the shade - which moved to the side deck as the sun lowered - to explore the town.
Rockport Daisy 2.jpg

Those of us with long legs could dip our toes to cool off. Those that could not, looked on with envy...
Rockport Daisy.jpg

We watched the locals on the shaded porch at the Yacht Club, watch us.

Everyone was happy to be out of the sun. Grilling was the only way to cook, the stove below would have been deadly.
Rockport grilling.jpg

The next morning we headed into town for a long walk and explore before the heat set in.

Rockport the lesser is lovely! Beautiful old buildings, walkable sidewalks, quiet and intact. The YC is handy for ice and they were running low they told us, due to the heat and humidity.

Like nearly all our stops down south, there was no convenient grocery store but we were still eating well out of our huge old ice box onboard.

This Rockport, a little tricky, is a great stop.
Rockport grilling 7-02 dinner is on.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Great post, Tom. Great pictures as always. I wanted to go in there but never got further north than Salem the last time we got close to Cape Ann. The bascule bridges' horizontal clearance isn't noted in my charts or Active Captain. Do you think the bridges would allow passage with my 28' beam?

PS - This year I picked up some 80% shade cloth from a horticultural supply store, and clip it to my bimini when the sun is at a low angle and we've just had too much. It's inexpensive and available in various transparencies and colors. Not classy looking, but would you rather look good or feel good? If there's a bit of breeze I have found a product called FixClip (available from this site) holds well.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Love your post. Almost as good as being there. Fun in the morning and lay low in the afternoon.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What a fantastic trip and that meal at the end of your post... looks like a personal invite, to me. :)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Lovely

Thanks for taking the time to write that up and to post those amazing photographs. You made my morning at the office a lot nicer.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Great post, Tom. Great pictures as always. I wanted to go in there but never got further north than Salem the last time we got close to Cape Ann. The bascule bridges' horizontal clearance isn't noted in my charts or Active Captain. Do you think the bridges would allow passage with my 28' beam?

PS - This year I picked up some 80% shade cloth from a horticultural supply store, and clip it to my bimini when the sun is at a low angle and we've just had too much. It's inexpensive and available in various transparencies and colors. Not classy looking, but would you rather look good or feel good? If there's a bit of breeze I have found a product called FixClip (available from this site) holds well.
Thanks, Larry. I'd be concerned about the middle RR bridge. It doesn't go 100% vertical, so you are pushed a little to the starboard side of the channel, through. Plus it's located on a hair pin so you can't see boats coming through. The current can roar through there, so I've read. It feels tight, quite tight in fact, with our boat.

I've often tried to figure out side curtains for our awning. That sounds like a good option to try. Thanks.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Yeah, you set a fine table! Looks like you even spit-shine the silverware???
Ha! We tell people coming aboard our boat, "Wipe your feet on the way out",... :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful write up and pics as usual. As a Texas coastal sailor I have to ask- what temp is Hot up there? :)
Thanks, Charlie.

It's subjective from person to person but more and more we're getting warnings; 'heat advisory in effect', from NOAA in New England. I like the heat but when the Heat Index Value goes upper 90's, a combination of high temps and humidity, I start to feel uncomfortable just being in the sun. I'm sure there was a heat advisory in effect that day. We saw heat indexes over 100F during that spell.

Plus we get a double whammy on the coast of Maine with Air Quality Alerts that often coincide with Heat Advisory's. We're on the end of country's tailpipe when winds (and air pollution) come from the West, and a West wind has no ocean cooling effect. Then you've got to get a few miles offshore to get the ocean cooling.

Here's an advisory just South of us, for tomorrow, September 5.

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT THURSDAY...

The National Weather Service in Gray has issued a Heat Advisory,
which is in effect from noon to 8 PM EDT Thursday.

* Heat Index Values...In the upper 90s due to temperatures
around 90, and dewpoints around 70.

* Timing...Thursday afternoon and early evening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Heat Advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is
expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity
will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are
possible. Drink plenty of fluids...stay in an air-conditioned
room...stay out of the sun...and check up on relatives and
neighbors, especially older adults who live alone, to make sure
they are able to stay cool.

People who work or exercise outside or in hot environments,
and children attending summer camps or outdoor sports practices
should take extra precautions. When possible...reschedule
strenuous activities to early morning. Know the signs and
symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight
and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of
water.

To reduce risk during outdoor work...the occupational safety
and health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest
breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome
by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat
stroke is an emergency...call 9 1 1.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Wow, it's 63f outside right now and we are at 48 degrees north. It is supposed to warm up to 65 by next Tuesday.

Fortunately we can usually sail year round in these parts, less a couple weeks of frozen marina in January or maybe February.

Ken