Permanently raised Pop Top

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu:

My boat is "traditional". Do you ask your question because you see a potential downside to the boat being other than "dinette"?

jbvalya
Nope, just the opposite. We had the traditional interior on ours and I found that simply sliding the hatch open gave me standing headroom for most of what I needed, and we left the table in the up position against the bulkhead unless it was in use. I'd have found the dinette not so conducive to that. I always felt it was a "ballroom" down below with the hatch open and the table stowed. I still have the C25 "stoop", though. :) (16 years later!:))

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I guess the HUGE downfall would be as said before.....no vang ( I cant imagine sailing without a vang ), and awful visibility forward. But, if you want
a camper....

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 25 Tilghman Is, MD
Stu:

That makes good sense to me now. I can see how the dinette would protrude into the
"ballroom" so to speak.

thanks,

jbvalya

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Jeff: Exactly what I will do. Glad someone else is think "outside the box". I will use Ocume Ply and double it for thickness. The corners will be built up solid wood, shaped with a radius to match the curve of the existing Pop Top and cabin top. I'll then add a new drop in board at the companionway to increase the height. The rake of the cabin will be maintained at the companion way with the balance of the Pop Top moving forward as a result. I haven't decided if I am going to put any Lexan in the raised area, but I will make that decision when the construction is complete. Good Luck with your project! I'll keep you posted on mine. jbvalya
If you make the radius/corner sticks for you boat, can I work a deal to have you make the stick longer, so I don't have to mill them? I don't have shop access anymore. Four eight-inch pieces would do it.

That is 99% of the work. Am happy to share cost/send beer. Seriously.

Jeff

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Just my 2 cents from the aesthetic point of view. I saw a C 22 which actually did have the modification that you are talking about doing a few years ago. It sticks in my mind, because it looked TERRIBLE! The top addition looked water tight, but it looked like an inverted bath tub was placed on top of the deck. It was very unseaworthy looking, as there was far too much windage now placed along side the hull to deck. The companion way doors were gigantic & looked like barn doors, as you have to add several feet of planking above the existing companionway to accommodate the huge extra height in the cabin top. Trust me, this is a bad idea, & this is a prime reason why sailors move up to bigger boats. Keep the clean sight lines intact & save our time & money and invest in a bigger boat, which will bring a much better return on your investment & be much more sea worthy. Ps. We owned a C22 & C25. NEVER sail with the pop top up, as the small slide up clamp that holds this contraption in place can & will break loose while sailing. It will then slam down HARD onto the cabin top & onto anyone's head or hands that are hopefully not nearby when it happens.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Just my 2 cents from the aesthetic point of view. I saw a C 22 which actually did have the modification that you are talking about doing a few years ago. It sticks in my mind, because it looked TERRIBLE! The top addition looked water tight, but it looked like an inverted bath tub was placed on top of the deck. It was very unseaworthy looking, as there was far too much windage now placed along side the hull to deck. The companion way doors were gigantic & looked like barn doors, as you have to add several feet of planking above the existing companionway to accommodate the huge extra height in the cabin top. Trust me, this is a bad idea, & this is a prime reason why sailors move up to bigger boats. Keep the clean sight lines intact & save our time & money and invest in a bigger boat, which will bring a much better return on your investment & be much more sea worthy. Ps. We owned a C22 & C25. NEVER sail with the pop top up, as the small slide up clamp that holds this contraption in place can & will break loose while sailing. It will then slam down HARD onto the cabin top & onto anyone's head or hands that are hopefully not nearby when it happens.
I don't disagree. However, trying out the idea is cheap and fun. :)

Jeff

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 25 Tilghman Is, MD
jrowan:

Thanks for the input. You did a very good job of describing what you saw.

Jbvalya
Catalina 25