Permanently raised Pop Top

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 25 Tilghman Is, MD
I am in the process of buying a C25, standard rig, fixed keel boat. I am 6'-1" in height.

Has anyone of the members of this association modified the Pop Top of a 25' to be permanently fixed at 6" above the cabin top with the void filled with either fiberglass, wood, or Lexan (or any combination of the above)?

If I am the first to do so, I will document my effort and include it on the Association Info page.

Thank you,

jbvalya

Jul 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Alum Creek Sailing Asso
Thank you Stu. I will try that.

jbvalya
I recently added power pistons to my pop top to make it easier to raise, and sail with it in the UP position. I also have a pop-top cover which snaps to the deck if the weather gets cold or rainy. It takes just a few minutes to snap the top in place. This option can be left in place at the dock or at anchor for camping. It might be a lot cheaper and a lot less work than a permanent pop-top.
Old Timer

Sep 14, 2014
Thank you Old Timer, but I wish to modify the existing "Pop Top" to a permanently
raised top at 6" above cabin top. I like many other C25 owners have had enough of the
ups and downs of the system. Great idea in 1968.. . . .but long outdated.

Thanks again.

JBvalya

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Is it advisable to sail with the top propped in the up position?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Is it advisable to sail with the top propped in the up position?
Two reasons why NOT:

1. You can't use the vang

2. You never know when a wave will pop up and make your saloon a big wet mess

Jul 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Alum Creek Sailing Asso
I sail on Alum Creek Lake in Ohio, so mostly calm waters and not heavy wind or waves. I wouldn't sail with the "top up" in open water or in stormy weather, at least without the top cover on. I have the vinyl cover with plastic windows which don't open. Not ideal for ventilation, but good to keep rain and spray out of the cabin.
Old timer

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would say to you as a former C25 owner for 10 years (#5612) that I would NOT sail anywhere with the pop top open, even if it is a "FLAT" lake because as Capt Ron said, "If its gonna happen, It will happen out there". We also had a Pop top cover that had fixed windows, We took ours over the winter to our local upholstery guy and had him cut the windows out,install screens and re-install the windows with velcro on the side that could be rolled up or down in bad/hot weather and also add two more windows facing the bow. The 25 is a great boat but we were also a heartbeat away from adding the gas pistons to it but instead we moved up!

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
As a former C-22 owner I never sailed with the poptop up. Take a knockdown and you're done. :(

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
t I wish to modify the existing "Pop Top" to a permanently
raised top at 6" above cabin top. I like many other C25 owners have had enough of the
ups and downs of the system. Great idea in 1968.. . . .but long outdated.

Thanks again.

JBvalya
in addition to all the preceding reasons why it may not be a reasonable modification to do to the boat is the fact that it WILL devalue it considerably....
so when you realize it just isnt working for you even AFTER you modify it, you wont be able to sell it for enough to make a down payment on something that would work better for you.... or if you ever decide to just upgrade.

the mod you suggest solves one inconvenient issue (having to raise the top when you want to stand up in the cabin), but it may actually create other more serious boat handeling/trimming issues... as much as this may not hinder your style of "boating" with that boat, no one else would want to buy a boat that has been modified out of its usable functionality:D

but the real beauty of owning our own boats and not renting/leasing or having a shared ownership is, we can do whatever we want to it in an attempt to achieve our "goal/mod-of-the-month", no matter what the cost is. now or later....:D

Sep 14, 2014
Thanks to one and all for your replies.

I guess the bottom line is; "no one has ever done what I am about to do". So, as I said; I will document the transition and put it up on the site for all to see.

Jbvalya

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
Having a Catalina 22 and being 6' tall, I feel your pain and think its a great idea. Make it out of plywood, assemble it under your pop top and outside the ridges that keep water from running in with the top down, then clamp it all to the legs that hold the top up. Seal it with something non-permanent. Modify your companionway doors and enjoy. No need to de-value the boat this way. If you like it, fiberglass the plywood, gelcoat it, and keep it. If you hate it pull it off and throw it out. It sounds like it would be pretty cheap to mock it up.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
One question. Will the pop top be in the way during lowering and raising the mast?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks to one and all for your replies.

I guess the bottom line is; "no one has ever done what I am about to do". So, as I said; I will document the transition and put it up on the site for all to see.

Jbvalya
jb, do I guess correctly that your layout down below is a dinette?

Sep 14, 2014
A wise choice for a permanently raised Pop Top

Having a Catalina 22 and being 6' tall, I feel your pain and think its a great idea. Make it out of plywood, assemble it under your pop top and outside the ridges that keep water from running in with the top down, then clamp it all to the legs that hold the top up. Seal it with something non-permanent. Modify your companionway doors and enjoy. No need to de-value the boat this way. If you like it, fiberglass the plywood, gelcoat it, and keep it. If you hate it pull it off and throw it out. It sounds like it would be pretty cheap to mock it up.

You Sir, are a sensible and reasonable individual! You have in fact addressed my post and my concerns with helpful and insightful answers. I will indeed consider everyone of your comments, and will share both the process and the joy that will follow with you in particular.

Thank you.

jbvalya

Sep 14, 2014
Thank you for your insightful question. No, not with my mast system.

jbvalya

Sep 14, 2014
Stu:

My boat is "traditional". Do you ask your question because you see a potential downside to the boat being other than "dinette"?

jbvalya

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Ah heck..more nattering nabobs of negativity! (Btw, that's humor)

I'm thinking of doing it for one reason...cold! The darn fabric doesn't retain any heat.

Here's my idea, and is temporarily permanent. I'm going to either bend or learn how to weld HPDE and make it just tall enough (i.e. Not full height) so winter anchoring is more fun.

It will wrap around, and I'll make another hatch with the extra six inches that I want. If I like it, I'll out in ports.

If I get to this, I'll post pictures. Icsuspect it will look pillbox/Lagoon like.

Jeff

Sep 14, 2014
Ah heck..more nattering nabobs of negativity! (Btw, that's humor)

I'm thinking of doing it for one reason...cold! The darn fabric doesn't retain any heat.

Here's my idea, and is temporarily permanent. I'm going to either bend or learn how to weld HPDE and make it just tall enough (i.e. Not full height) so winter anchoring is more fun.

It will wrap around, and I'll make another hatch with the extra six inches that I want. If I like it, I'll out in ports.

If I get to this, I'll post pictures. Icsuspect it will look pillbox/Lagoon like.

Jeff
Jeff:

Exactly what I will do. Glad someone else is think "outside the box".

I will use Ocume Ply and double it for thickness. The corners will be built up solid wood, shaped with a radius to match the curve of the existing Pop Top and cabin top. I'll then
add a new drop in board at the companionway to increase the height. The rake of the cabin will be maintained at the companion way with the balance of the Pop Top moving forward as a result.

I haven't decided if I am going to put any Lexan in the raised area, but I will make that decision when the construction is complete.

Good Luck with your project! I'll keep you posted on mine.

jbvalya