Perkins 4-108 Injector Pump Troubleshooting

Apr 1, 2019
Islander 36 Oakland
Perkins 4-108, Delphi Injector Pump...

Over the last month, it took more and more cranks for the engine to start and one day it wouldn't start. (It started two days prior.) There doesn't seem to be fuel getting to the engine. Bled the fuel line sequentially from the primary fuel filter to the injector pump. Fuel flows consistently from the bleeding valve on the side of the injector pump. However, fuel only drips from the high pressure lines.

Verified that the shutoff valve is in the ON position at the injection pump. Engine seems to crank sufficiently, however the starter is smoking (unsure why). Cleaned electrical connections/terminals at batteries and at the starter solenoid. Still not enough fuel at the injectors.

Any insight or advice on why I'm not getting a sufficient flow of fuel in the high pressure lines?

Apr 1, 2019
Islander 36 Oakland
Note: previous owner had a rebuilt injector pump installed by a reputable mechanic one year ago.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
I'm not saying you don't have a problem elsewhere such as, blockage, air in the system etc. The starter problem seems a lot more of your problem.
But, I'm presuming the engine is fitted with a CAV DPA injection pump, of which Delphi took over the brand. Do you have a good crank speed?
These rotary pumps require a fast crank speed before it can inject with a sufficient pressure. Also crack the injector pipes at the injectors and bleed while cranking while tightening one at a time once you see fuel. This fuel won't have any great pressure, more like spitting out, more than a dribble.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The high pressure pump will not pump fuel if there is air in the distribution fuel lines.
Follow @GBGraham ’s suggestion and bleed the fuel line at the injectors.

Letting the smoke out of the starter is not a good event. How old is your starter? Perhaps it is due.

Do you have ground direct to the starter or do the wires run through a panel?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Verified that the shutoff valve is in the ON position
My last issue was the "kill switch" return spring breaking. It's hard to see on my 4-108 as its high up between the heat exchanger and the block. Injector pump should be good but cracking the joint at the injector will confirm that. Smoke from the starter is not good. If it requires a re-build or replacement they come with 2 gear sizes. IIRC 10 and 12 teeth. Make sure you get the right one.