Perhaps Echo Bay This Summer!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Might do a trip from Nanaimo to Echo Bay in the Broughtons this summer. What's good along the way? Expect to transit via Dent Rapids. Has anybody gone lately?

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Sounds like fun. Brougtons are on my list when the Admrial finally decides to retire.

Les

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sounds like fun. Brougtons are on my list when the Admrial finally decides to retire.

Les
Yeah, you'd probably have to commit minimally two, maybe three, weeks to sail RT from Everett.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
two, maybe three, weeks
Better to take two to three months and spend time at several places along the way and really enjoy the PNW. Much prefer Shoal Harbour, a very nice anchorage right next (west) to Echo Bay. We preferred the east side of Echo Bay before it was taken over by the new owners and closed down Wind Song. Even kicked out John and his bead lady's float home and gallery. Shoal Harbour is also next to Billy Proctor's museum, well worth a visit. At low tide you can still see the remnants of a First Nation clam garden as you past through the entrance on the starboard side.

Always felt unwelcome by the owners during our brief Echo Bay stop overs. They cater more to the power boat elite. Sailboaters, not so much. We avoid the place.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks, Terry. I agree, of course--a couple of months or more would be ideal. Plans are in place to move the boat to WA/BC next summer and do as you suggest. But in the meantime; it's (two wk or three) better than staying home and seeing nothing of the place, IMHO.

Any insight on Dent Rapids?

Dec 25, 2000
Any insight on Dent Rapids?
Some. Depends upon whether you're making passage north or south. Heading north we try to plan our transit through Yuculta Rapids on an ebb slack, which will carry you north, through Dent, with the current for some distance to your next anchorage. If not, you can layover in Big Bay until you can follow a favorable current, which runs pretty strong (ten+) at maximum flow.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Better to take two to three months and spend time at several places along the way and really enjoy the PNW. Much prefer Shoal Harbour, a very nice anchorage right next (west) to Echo Bay. We preferred the east side of Echo Bay before it was taken over by the new owners and closed down Wind Song. Even kicked out John and his bead lady's float home and gallery. Shoal Harbour is also next to Billy Proctor's museum, well worth a visit. At low tide you can still see the remnants of a First Nation clam garden as you past through the entrance on the starboard side.

Always felt unwelcome by the owners during our brief Echo Bay stop overs. They cater more to the power boat elite. Sailboaters, not so much. We avoid the place.
Terry, we had the exact opposite experience at Echo. Pierre was great. But I also agree shoal Bay is good and next to Proctors. I would stop in at Echo again.
BTW, treat Dent with great respect. I have seen boats (really) broach trying to negotiate the rapids at the wrong time. Viewed with binocs from Big Bay.. There can be huge overfalls..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Might do a trip from Nanaimo to Echo Bay in the Broughtons this summer. What's good along the way? Expect to transit via Dent Rapids. Has anybody gone lately?
Whats the attraction with Dent? If you have the WX, go up Discovery Passage and Johnstone Strait. Would save you a few days. You could go through Surge Narrows and Beazly Passage to the Octopus Is and then out to Discovery Passage through Okisolo Channel. (I think its channel) Octopus Is are worth the visit.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
You could go through Surge Narrows and Beazly Passage to the Octopus Is and then out to Discovery Passage through Okisolo Channel. (I think its channel
Pretty much the way we came this year Mark. Von Donop, White Rock Passage, Beasley-Surge to the Octopus Islands then Okisolo, Nodales and back to Cordero for Shoal Bay and Blind Bay.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Has anybody gone lately?
Just left Echo Bay 3 days ago. In Port McNeil today. Didn't use Dent this year but did last. Unless you have something you really want to see using that route I think this years route is prettier.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You can go through the islands but there still is 15mi from Hardwicke Is to the entrance of Port Harvey in Johnstone. If necessary, you can duck into Port Neville..Decisions made at the time..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
To the OP, I remember you made a long run to Desolation Sd within a timeframe last summer. Now, you are doing the same but going farther north and going into areas that have weather/tides that are completely different. Extreme caution is advised re weather vs schedule and you may not make the Broughtons in your timeframe. If you set out in unsettled weather, your boat should have a plotter, AIS, radar. I’ve had to use it all with weather unexpectly closing in.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
To the OP, I remember you made a long run to Desolation Sd within a timeframe last summer. Now, you are doing the same but going farther north and going into areas that have weather/tides that are completely different. Extreme caution is advised re weather vs schedule and you may not make the Broughtons in your timeframe. If you set out in unsettled weather, your boat should have a plotter, AIS, radar. I’ve had to use it all with weather unexpectly closing in.
Thanks so much for your input. Yeah, last August we made the trip Vancouver to Octopus Islands/Waiatt Bay & return in 15 days, stopping at Gorge Hbr & Prideaux Haven. Really good weather nearly all of that time. More time this year for the longer trip--Nanaimo to Echo Bay/Port Harvey & return; about 20 days. However, this year I'm not the skipper and do not have to ride the boat the entire round trip. As it's not a charter the time-frame/schedule is not as "forced." If the Broughtons are not made b/c of WX then I guess it's c'est la vie. Try again next summer.:cool:

Four years the boat at Ventura Harbor and we never did sail into Cuyler Harbor, San Miguel Island (65 n.mi. distant to weather), as "planned" more than once. But, we will someday.:wink:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Arriving Echo Bay,

240114EB-B2FA-4F14-8B54-2860778165F8.jpeg
We did make the Broughtons; arrived Echo Bay yesterday from Lagoon Cove. Thursday we were in the JS for a 9 n.mi. stretch between Sunderland and Homfrey channels to make Lagoon Cove from Forward Harbour via the “Blow Hole” in the final mile. The Hunter 45 we were on did have the equipment you mention, plus full cockpit enclosure. I can now well appreciate the value of that combination of technology cruising those waters!! Forward Harbour proved a great anchorage. By the way, JS was under gale warning Wed & Thur but the strongest winds did not reach that stretch while we were in it.:)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I did not find the rapids (Yaculta, Gillard, Dent) troublesome with our passage last week during the neap tides. I saw Beazley Passage of last year more of a challenge, especially in the northbound direction. We left Dent Island Marina about 30 min before slack to pass through there.

Dec 25, 2000
Mapcarta view of Yuculta (locals pronounce it You-clatas) Rapids, Gillard Rapids (next to Gillard Island), then Dent where it shows Devils Hole (next to Dent Island), if I understand the geography of the area. Very confused waters during peak flow periods. Strong overfalls, shifting currents, fast flowing water during flood stages. https://mapcarta.com/24717264