Pedestal mounted engine controls

Feb 6, 2004
Hunter 260 Sweetwater, TX
Ordered new 260 in 2001 from dealer in West Texas (Now deceased) with several options including Edson wheel steering with pedestal mounted engine controls. The Teleflex CC17212 control cables has a loop in the fuel locker before going to engine. Is this loop necessary or can I order shorter cables to go straight to engine? I wanted to clear the fuel locker.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The loop might be there so that there is not a more obtuse turn of the cable around a corner or something. In order for the cable to run freely within the outer case, there can't be too tight of a turn and so a longer cable is used to eliminate this. If you can determine that the run of the cable from the outboard to the control lever is clean with no sharp turns, you could get a way with a shorter cable.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jesse21835;
Former small boat dealer now retired involved with the H 260 when designed and sold too many loosing count. I was instrumental for the wheel steering on the 260. Private email to you on its way. I think I know who your dealer was.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Those cables work due to the relative motion of the center cable vs the unstretchable outer cover. The whole deal can loop and loop, and as long as the cable slides cleanly inside you're golden. Like Bill says the loop is there to prevent a kink which would add huge friction to program.

Feb 6, 2004
Hunter 260 Sweetwater, TX
Thanks everyone for the replies. I emailed Dave to get his input, he will probably post on here results. I just thought it might shift easier and clear fuel compartment with a straight run. I think the minimum turn for
Teleflex cables is 10 inches.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The main question by Jesse, were the length of the cables. The response I got for the 260 and 270(with inboard diesel) " the h260 outboard motor cables are both 10ft, the h270 with inboard diesel has shift cable 12ft and throttle 14ft.". Furthermore the cables once referred to 3300 series cables are now Teleflex Xtreme cables I think. The cables taken out of Jesse's boat for the throttle and shift to his Tohatsu 9.9 are 12 feet long. The 260 never had an inboard diesel, only the 270 wing keel version of the 260.

I suggested using a tube to insert the new cables as the other ones are out and 15 years old thru the tube as an easy way of routing them thru the pedestal. Then use something like a crowbar going thru the gas locker to hook and then pull or push the cable thru. I suggested painting the connector rod between the rudder and motor and to put cotter pins thru the ends of the cables that exit near the rudder post for obvious reasons. That answered his questions. Thank you Barnicle Bill and Jackdaw for the added info on the cables.