Pearson 10M PSS - Stern Tube Diameter

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
Sooo, I've had my P10M 10 years now. PSS original when I got the boat. I have no idea how old it was when I got it. I've never replaced the bellows. Last season I was getting water in bilge when under auxiliary. So way past overdue for a servicing. I'll pick up the kit at the Defender sale this weekend. Now the question.. I know the shaft is 1" What size is the stern tube? Its not very convenient for me to get to the boat to measure directly. On defender website...options are 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 1 3/4", 2", and 2 1/4"

Any P10 owners have any ideas? DanP?

Thanks
K

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'm sure if you speak with Defender, they will accommodate you (as long as you don't damage the packaging).

The last 10M was built in (about 1981) and only 230 of them. Our first boat was a Pearson 35. There were over 510 of those made before Pearson ceased making them in abou '82. We loved our Pearson 35 --but you 10M is a much faster boat.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Well. I did go to the boat. Head first down the stsrboard locker. Squeeze past the batteries and fuel tank....
Tube size is 1.5"
I have no idea how ill get in there to do the bellows replacement.

I dont think there is enough clearance to get the flange off... or even the bellows. Without moving the engine forward into the cabin

This looks to be a much bigger job than i anticipated.

20180325_125335.jpg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You may have to figure out to get coupling off with that rust? Then you pull the shaft back a bit? The PSS unit got there before. ;^))))

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You are going to have a challenge I think getting the coupling off that shaft. Not much room to work. The shaft doesn’t look bad, but the coupling is pretty rusty.

I set up a little tool to press my shaft out of my coupling when I did a shaft replacement...this may give you some ideas. But I found the space tight, and yours looks like way less space between the tranny and PSS.

Greg

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
You are going to want to replace the coupling with a new one, and have a marine machine shop fit the shaft to the new coupling and face it so it runs true. So plan on removing the shaft. This will take some time, so you will probably have enough time to take things apart, measure the size of the pss seal, and get the right parts ordered. How much cheaper is the kit than a complete seal? For all the trouble replacing, it might be just worth the extra to know everything's new. Good time to check the cutlass bearing too. Project creep...project creep... Be easy on the transmission and don't use slide hammers and the like for removal. If all else fails, cut the shaft and replace it.

FWIW, a split coupling will be easier when installing considering the tight space.

Last edited:

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
I think ill need a pre project before i can evem start. This job doesnt look easy. And theres no way i can do it working head first down a cockpit locker. A common project ive heard of on p10m in order to get access is to cut a large access door in the port berth behind the nav station.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
So i did see that split coupling on the psy site. If i have to pull the shaft to face it..i might do the cutlas too. But that does seem in good shape. This is turning out to be way more than i bargened for. I dont think i can put this off another season (i keep thinking about it) but ill worry sbout it all season if i do. Where would i even take it to face the coupling?

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Not sure where you would find one, but you're near the coast, so there have to be marine machine shops not too far away. I had to drive several hours across Ontario when mine crapped out on vacation. All the more reason to do it right the first time. Previous owner of our boat reused the coupling and it loosened up on me.

I have a similar lack of space between the pss and coupling (maybe less). To put mine back together, I had to get creative. Parked my truck behind the boat while it was on the trailer. Then ratchet strapped the prop to my truck hitch, and pre-tentioned the pss spring so I could get the coupling back in (snugged the lock ring using the old screws temporarily for this). The split coupling made life much easier, but it still really tested my patience.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You have New Bedford, South Dartmouth, Bristo, and Newport really close. There's a Brewer Yard close to just south of you. Dialing with the pics you took and you'll find someone to help with some suggestions.

The other option is three hours of "skilled labor" .....;^)))

Getting that coupling off will take some work. I think you can soak it in oil -- but it may take a bit of heat. Be careful if you mix the two.