Passage 456 boot stripe

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Is the big blue boot stripe gel coat or paint? My 2002 fades very soon after I compound and polish it, tried to restore it with rubbing compound and buffer even wet sanded it , looks good after but fades pretty soon so thinking about ideas on how to restore, or repaint? I wonder if I could compound then clear coat for a longer lasting shine?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
It is Gel coat. Mine does the same thing. I have had the best results using meguiar's products.......still thinking about painting it.

seafox

Nov 18, 2011
Hunter 456 Toronto
Is the big blue boot stripe gel coat or paint? My 2002 fades very soon after I compound and polish it, tried to restore it with rubbing compound and buffer even wet sanded it , looks good after but fades pretty soon so thinking about ideas on how to restore, or repaint? I wonder if I could compound then clear coat for a longer lasting shine?
As you know Bob, I have a 2004 456 and had to redo the boot stripe last year. It is gel coat and I ordered a can from Hunter. It was darker than the existing color but I was told that the darker one was the original color and the existing one simply fades. It is best to spray.I would think that a YEARLY coat of wax would keep it from fading. I will try that. Cornel

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
wondering about using a wrap??? vinyl sticker........these 3M products seem to last 8 years.......I thinks it may be catching on

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Yes I compound it, wax it several times a year, guess re gel coating is the next step, was the product you got from hunter gelcoat or Algrip

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
My 450 seems to be a tape stripe, I haven't peeled any of it, but there are spots where is has chipped away and it sure looks like a vinyl tape applique somewhat age hardened. It also gets a powdery type of oxidation on the surface. If it were gel coat a polish and wax would last as well as any other area. Same with the numbers.