Registered users don't see ads

PARASAILOR

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by ice breaker, Jul 11, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. ice breaker

ice breaker

Joined Sep 11, 2011
    224 posts, 25 likes
    Hunter 41
    US lake superior
    I asked for a quote for a parasailor spinaker for my AC41 last week. $9000. Of course it is made in Germany.............

Not gonna happen.

I have a sail boat so I understand boat bucks, but this takes the cake.

Will Gilmore and justsomeguy like this.
  2. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,435 posts, 317 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    You only got one quote???? What's your point and why gripe about where it's made?

3. ice breaker

ice breaker

Joined Sep 11, 2011
    224 posts, 25 likes
    Hunter 41
    US lake superior
    Joe:

I will try to be more clear for you. 9k for a fancy spinnaker seems very out of line, compared to more traditional spinnaker pricing. The germany reference was to show how very high wage rates on labor intensive products, contribute mightly to unsalable products. The parasailor may be more technically advanced, but not by 100% over traditional spinnakers. My opinion. Sorry if set you off.

jssailem likes this.
  4. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,780 posts, 2,112 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Parasailor kites are indeed very expensive. I've been on a boat that had one, and the only advantage I could see is using it in tradewind conditions, where you sail for hours downwind in the 13-20 knots. In these conditions the sail is more stable due to the venting, and the crew might be more comfortable leaving it up. But for 98% of Lake Superior sailing, a regular kite will be just fine.

lurker likes this.
  5. lurker

lurker

Joined Jan 12, 2016
    133 posts, 21 likes
    Hunter -410
    CA Vancouver Island
    The parasailor looks like an awesome piece of kit, but primarily for tradewind passage making during the daytime hours. Give it enough time and I'm sure the Chinese/online lofts will start copying the design. It does nicely solve the DDW sailing issues with a B&R rig though.

6. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,075 posts, 957 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    The price has actually come down since they came on the market, which I assume is because of the economy of scale of production numbers. But comparing the parasailor to a regular spinnaker is apples to oranges, the parasailor is a whole new beast and probably overkill for a lake sailor - it is a transocean sail.