Paragon SAOV Transmission Manual

drcov

Jul 7, 2011
Puffin 14 Charleston
Looking for rebuild manual for Paragon SAOV Transmission . I had a copy but computer died and lost all my manuals for my Cal 34 Mark 3. Would like all info on rebuilding this tranny.
Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I believe I can help...
check this link as I downloaded all my manuals there awhile back.... you may also find other useful information concerning Cal's as well.

you will find the trans manual included inside the westerbeke 4-91 technical manual

there is a LOT of stuff there, but if you fail to find it at that site, let me know and i can get it to you.
I have the full package of manuals that was delivered with the boat i own when it was new.

the SOAV trans is a fairly simple device, so its an easy job....

IIRC, it is also here on this site.. in MANUALS... but i cant remember how to get there...

the administrators should add a tab at the top of the screen so more people could find them easier... they would get more usage that way.... Hint!!!

drcov

Jul 7, 2011
Puffin 14 Charleston
Paragon

What do you know about that dreaded bearing. Heck I am not sure of which everyone speaks. Also one guy said pull out a set of clutches. Wonder why. May have to do with the replacement bearing.
Danny

I believe I can help...
check this link as I downloaded all my manuals there awhile back.... you may also find other useful information concerning Cal's as well.

you will find the trans manual included inside the westerbeke 4-91 technical manual

there is a LOT of stuff there, but if you fail to find it at that site, let me know and i can get it to you.
I have the full package of manuals that was delivered with the boat i own when it was new.

the SOAV trans is a fairly simple device, so its an easy job....

IIRC, it is also here on this site.. in MANUALS... but i cant remember how to get there...

the administrators should add a tab at the top of the screen so more people could find them easier... they would get more usage that way.... Hint!!!

Mar 20, 2012
What do you know about that dreaded bearing. Heck I am not sure of which everyone speaks. Also one guy said pull out a set of clutches. Wonder why. May have to do with the replacement bearing.
Danny

more links below.... these folks sell parts and service for the paragon transmissions
they have always helped me when I had questions.

one thing I can tell you for an absolute certainty, is that you NEED to use a type F trans fluid in it, or you will have problems.

all other modern trans fluids have friction modifiers in them so things will slip easier and keep the auto shifting from being harsh.... the paragon is NOT automatic and needs to lock up without the clutches from slipping and causing heat.
the only reason trans fluid is used in it is because type F it has the correct viscosity, the right properties, and it used to be much more common.

I had trouble with mine boiling the oil after about 30mins of WOT while in gear... all the bearings and clutches were good, and when doing the research I found the problem with the oil....the local westerbeke dealer said dex3 should be no problem, but he was wrong.
after switching oil and flushing it 3 times, (run it til its hot and then drain... then do it again 2 times more) the trans now runs at only 160degrees in the summertime, even after 4-5 hours of WOT running up the river.
(you only need to be tied securely to the dock and power against the dock lines for testing)

these outfits helped me solve the issues i had...

http://www.glpower.com/

http://www.marinegears.com/

drcov

Jul 7, 2011
Puffin 14 Charleston
Where is the cooler on a Paragon SAOV?
I have cooler lines running to my V drive. But do not have a clue about an oil cooler as one guy stated.

more links below.... these folks sell parts and service for the paragon transmissions
they have always helped me when I had questions.

one thing I can tell you for an absolute certainty, is that you NEED to use a type F trans fluid in it, or you will have problems.

all other modern trans fluids have friction modifiers in them so things will slip easier and keep the auto shifting from being harsh.... the paragon is NOT automatic and needs to lock up without the clutches from slipping and causing heat.
the only reason trans fluid is used in it is because type F it has the correct viscosity, the right properties, and it used to be much more common.

I had trouble with mine boiling the oil after about 30mins of WOT while in gear... all the bearings and clutches were good, and when doing the research I found the problem with the oil....the local westerbeke dealer said dex3 should be no problem, but he was wrong.
after switching oil and flushing it 3 times, (run it til its hot and then drain... then do it again 2 times more) the trans now runs at only 160degrees in the summertime, even after 4-5 hours of WOT running up the river.
(you only need to be tied securely to the dock and power against the dock lines for testing)

these outfits helped me solve the issues i had...

http://www.glpower.com/

http://www.marinegears.com/

Mar 20, 2012
Where is the cooler on a Paragon SAOV?
I have cooler lines running to my V drive. But do not have a clue about an oil cooler as one guy stated.
no cooler for the transmission....it wasnt designed to have one. the cooler is only for the vdrive unit

if the transmission is not slipping, does not have a bearing issue and has the correct amount of oil in it, it will run about 140 to 170 degrees... this is much too hot to lay your hand on, but well below the limits that you should start to be concerned, which is 200+ degrees...
too much oil can cause it to over heat, too little oil will cause failure of a bearing which will overheat.... and if the clutch pack is not adjusted up properly, it will slip and overheat, and can possibly cause damage to the discs.
and the WRONG oil can cause slippage/heat even if the adjustment is correct....

it is my general opinion that anyone who has an inboard engine and gearboxes should have an infrared thermometer in their tool box.... this will tell you many things about the engine that you can otherwise only guess at.