Registered users don't see ads

Packing gland packing size 2003 Hunter 356 Yanmar 3GM30F Goretex

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by CharlieSea, Jan 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CharlieSea

Joined Dec 22, 2012
    26 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    US Coral Gables, FL Coral Gables, FL
    Any one know the size packing for this gland. Also, any comments on the goretex packing material. I've been told it is literally dripless. 'Not a fan of the dripless seals that can't be repaired/replaced without taking everything apart. I had a PYI on my last boat and after awhile lived in constant fear of the bellows exploding. A little drip is better. Especially when you consider you can't do anything with the boat in the water. Has anyone tried the Volvo dripless seal. I think that is what Beneteau used before the saildrives.

2. quadrille38

Joined Apr 11, 2010
    587 posts, 41 likes
    Hunter 38
    US Caledonia MI Whitehall MI
    I've used the gortex and You can go nearly drip less. You do still need to maintain some water seepage but it's very low.

Although I did go the other way from you and went to a PYI and am very happy with it. Just have to inspect the bellows periodically to make sure the rubber isn't deteriorated. It's on my pre trip check list so it gets looked at regularly.

3. Cat 310 #1 in GA

Cat 310 #1 in GA

Joined Jan 17, 2013
    222 posts, 22 likes
    Catalina 310
    US St. Simons
    I have had the goretex on my Catalina 310 for about 3 years now and it is dripless. Completely. I know you are "supposed" to have a slight drip but mine does not and never gets warm. Have put probably 250 hours on the engine since the goretex was installed and it has been flawless and maintenance free.

4. kmacdonald

Joined Aug 5, 2016
    18 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina Capri 22
    us Easton, MD Cambridge
  5. jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,279 posts, 1,185 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Not goretex - graphite packing material

6. CharlieSea

Joined Dec 22, 2012
    26 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone remember the packing size?

7. chuckwayne

Joined Mar 20, 2004
    1,363 posts, 27 likes
    Hunter 356 and 216
    US Portland, ME
    the 356 stuffing box uses 3/16" or 5mm square packing

8. richard9525

Joined Sep 30, 2007
    19 posts, 0 likes
    hunter 356
    US little river
    Can you repack the stuffing/box gland while the boat is in water. Its been a few years since I did that job.

9. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    888 posts, 95 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    You can. You may get some water in through the tube, but you can do it. I have seen people wrap some heavy twine or waxed string around the shaft at the stuffing box after they backed the nut off (to hold back the water) while they clean out the old packing and repack the nut. Then remove the twine, and put the nut back on.

10. CharlieSea

Joined Dec 22, 2012
    26 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    Thanks Chuck.

11. Claude L.-Auger

Claude L.-Auger

Joined Dec 14, 2003
    971 posts, 16 likes
    Hunter 34
    CA Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
    I used the twine trick + lathered the twine and opening with marine grease. Stopped water intrusion completely, allowing me to clean the old material out, go make a cup of coffee, and install the new packing in. Grease and twine removed for putting the nut back on let water in but only while I screwed the nut and adjusted it. On attached picture you can see the cotton twine, the blue marine grease and no water coming in. On bottom are the 3 old pieces of flax removed. Water droplets seen are from time when nut was backed out before I put the twine and grease.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

Replacement in-deck solar panel
Improved for greater output, this is a drop-in replacement. Trim ring available, too.
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990
Hunter gaskets for all!
Gaskets for ports, hatches, latches, speaker pods, refrigerators, freezers, more.
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.