P42 is there a false bilge?

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
The thread on a false bilge got me to thinking back to an issue I had a couple of seasons ago.

The gray plastic water pipe to the forward head sink broke just below the sink. Nothing like looking down the entry and seeing water on the floor - The water did not drain into the bilge. I ended up using a wet vac to suck water from holes used to hold down the shower sump (this sump is not working as I do not use the forward shower and can't bring myself to putout the $60 for the sensor that I don't plan to use)

In any cAse - suggestions on the best place to open this up to drain into the bilge?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Keith, never done this before so would probably fork over the $60 rather than drill holes, but I would imagine that if you drilled a hole in the bottom of the shower sump liner the shower water would find its way into the main bilge through limber holes. Rather than drill down I would open a hole in the side of the shower pan close to the bottom. Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
I am very leery of drilling down on my boat. I just instinctively know I will find water.
And not in a good way.
Hi John, agree. Much rather spend the money on a new sensor (does he mean bilge pump switch?). Our boat, a sister to his, has the forward shower pan sump beneath a teak grate with the pump and float switch at the bottom. Any water is pumped over the side.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is what it sounds like. If the limber holes are blocked it would overflow.

I would think that the cabinet under the sink would go to the bilge. That is the way CAL built my boat. The area of the shower has a pan under the shower area (between the deck and the hull) and the grey water there is pumped over the side. In my case there is a switch that I pull to pump grey water. Helps to not pump the shower pan when in a slip along my port side. Tends to make a mess on the dock.

Jan 1, 2014
The water was trapped under the area where the shower water collects - I have a pump there. The pipe was under the sink and the water went down below where the trap area is. I ended up unscrewing the bilge pump and sucking water out through the screw holes. As much as would come out.

I was surprised that water in the area below the sink would not have a path to the main bilge.

Definitely not drilling down :)

Jan 1, 2014
Reread my initial post. 2 separate issues.

1. I need a new sensor for the shower drain to have the pump empty it. This is a non-issue for the post it was meant as an aside

2. Water from the broken sink pipe was trapped below the floor of the head area and I was able to only remove it best I could through the holes that were holding the bilge pump in place.

Seems odd that the water would not have found its way easily to the main bilge.

Dec 25, 2000
Seems odd that the water would not have found its way easily to the main bilge.
Sorry, but no answer or solution here, Keith. Perhaps another P42 owner has one. Our boat has limber holes that lead into the main bilge from the compartment beneath the forward berth and water tank. Ditto from the small compartment where our macerator and forward head through hulls are located.

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
The water was trapped under the area where the shower water collects - I have a pump there. The pipe was under the sink and the water went down below where the trap area is. I ended up unscrewing the bilge pump and sucking water out through the screw holes. As much as would come out.

I was surprised that water in the area below the sink would not have a path to the main bilge.

Definitely not drilling down :)
Well being a new Hunter 42 owner and having every single problem possible on it.... Yesterday after finally taking a cool shower in the forward head found out that the bilge pump in shower drain was worn out (runs but water not going down). Luckily the PO had another 5 spare bilge pumps on board (probably because of all the leaks I am trying to track down...see post on aft transom lockers). As soon as I removed the 3 screws to remove the bilge pump water began rushing up. My first thought was somehow the PO had drilled pilot holes thru the bottom of the boat. Of course my freak began and I quickly put in the new pump and the 3 screws to stop the water and would look for thru holes when boat pulled out.......
I am so glad that someone else had this happen to them so now I can move onto my next project.....finding a transmission flange locknut wrench or trying to figure out if there is supposed to be seal on my transom lockers. Sorry you had this happen Puesta del sol, but glad it isn't just me seeing these things.

Jan 1, 2014
My guess this is an issue on others but you won't notice unless you open one of the holes while there is water trapped there.

As find new water entry points pass the info along it means it is likely I should check mine for similar problems ( don't think I have any now but if others do it is just a matter of time....)