Registered users don't see ads

P42 - good location to VHF in cockpit

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by Puesta del sol, Sep 12, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Puesta del sol

Puesta del sol

Joined Jan 1, 2014
    106 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 42
    US Chesapeake
    My main VHF is next to the chart table. While well protected it is not useful for long range communication when in the cockpit.

Looking for ideas on where to install one in the cockpit that won't cost me seating

2. py26129

py26129

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    411 posts, 8 likes
    Island Packet IP31
    CA Lake St. Louis, Montreal
    Vhave you considered a VHF with a RAM3 remote?
    [​IMG]

3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    2,897 posts, 544 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I installed the Ram3+ mike last spring and it has been excellent. Need to remember to turn off the system prior to plugging in or removing so you do not error and jam a pin in the wrong connection. IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY. You have full control of the VHF. The mike and speaker are in your hand. AIS is provided.
    In stall was easy. Locate where you want the mike and cord to hang. Drill holes for the fitting and screws. Clip the ferrite core not he cable behind the mike fitting. Route the cable (I think it is about 15 feet long). It was plenty long enough to go from the aft portion of my cockpit to the radio in cabin with cable to spare. Connect to the radio. Done. Turn on and enjoy vhf communication in the cockpit.

4. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    421 posts, 44 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Are looking to install another complete VHF or a remote, full function mike (like the RAM+ unit above)?

What is the VHF unit that you have at the Nav Station?

5. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    300 posts, 71 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    I have the Ram3 mike and I really like it. I also have a small handheld VHF with gps. I actually use the handheld more than the Ram3. The Ram3 does display all the same AIS data as the VHF below, and that's very handy.

6. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,747 posts, 155 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Hi Keith, what happened to the original that was mounted at the helm pedestal console? Ours still works, but no AIS; no problem here. If ours ever dies that location seems to work pretty well.

7. Puesta del sol

Puesta del sol

Joined Jan 1, 2014
    106 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 42
    US Chesapeake
    I just tried it earlier this year and nothing. Having said that I forgot I even had it and have been using my handheld up top.

Usually sailing days or a simple overnight so really had not given it much thought.

Was going through my stuff in the garage and found a mic.

Will need to trace the wires or at least test for continuity to be sure it's not the wiring.

Hunter throttle and shift cables
Order by model, fast shipment
Hunter replacement stanchions
Replace for safety and appearance
Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.