P42 Athwart Wire Chase termination points

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Greetings - the last step of my holding tank replacement involves getting fluid level sensor wires from the starboard tank over to the port nav station. I'm aware of the concept of using the wire chase within the pan and have accessed that chase via the step light at the nav station. I've pushed a snake thru the area but can't discover where it comes out (it hits a hard spot by the galley sink and stops). Any suggestions/experiences are much appreciated.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any suggestions/experiences are much appreciated.
Hi Jim, no help here, but most if not all the wires for the starboard side of the boat go through that space behind the nav station step light cover. Perhaps another P42 owner will chime in and shed some light on the topic.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
when pushing from the step access hole to the nav station the wires come out under the removable floor of the cupboard on the RHS of nav table- i actually found a pull cord had been run through mine- dont know if that was factory or PO

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
My 1991 worked as eianm's does...if you get a snake through and want to use that, add a pull cord or small rope to the pull and next time you will have a method to pull...either way..

bests

Dec 25, 2000
when pushing from the step access hole to the nav station the wires come out under the removable floor of the cupboard on the RHS of nav table- i actually found a pull cord had been run through mine- dont know if that was factory or PO
I'm confused. Was not Jim trying to get wires from the step light chase across to the starboard side of the boat? Our boat had a chase cord from the nav station down to the step light chase cover, but nothing from there to the starboard side of the boat. No need yet here to run wires to that side of the boat, but would like to know how that bundle gets from the step light chase over to, say the AC outlet above the stove.

Apr 21, 2017
Hi All - thanks for the responses. I successfully figured this out this weekend. The snake I put thru the nav step light was going straight across under the galley sink and into the raised galley floor. Reaching back thru the bilge I couldn't feel it. My boat didn't have any chase cords to leverage - but when pulling the holding tank sending wires I left 2 additional cords for next time.... net/net - it all makes sense in hindsight. Thanks for the responses. I now have a new holding tank with a fluid level monitor over by the Nav Station. Life is Good. Thanks again.

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Jim, glad you were able to sort it all out. Curious, though. I'm clear up to and including under the galley sink. I'm assuming the floor beneath the sink can be lifted up and out? Lots of plumbing and wires come up through that floor just to serve the sink assembly and refrigeration systems. But, by the raised galley floor, do you mean the one that you're standing on when at the stove that has a hatch with a flush knob to lift and open it up? That is where I store much of my canned goods, but no wires or plumbing in ours at all.

Apr 21, 2017
Terry - the snake went under the galley sink and from what could tell under the raised galley floor in front of the stove. That floor has a hatch with a flush knob to lift and open it up, the area under the flush knob is totally enclosed - no wires or plumbing. I'm assuming the snake was aft of that compartment. I didn't notice that the floor beneath the galley sink can be lifted up and out. I'll check that out next time on the boat - but I doubt it is an easy process given the sink drain goes thru it.
I've attached a pic of the new holding tank. Between the aft head fill hose and the center pump out hose is the fluid sensor level attachment and the wiring.

My previous boat was 'stick built' interior - it didn't have a pan. I'm learning the Hunter Factory (and owners on this site) have some creative ways of getting wire and piping all around the boat. It all makes sense in hindsight. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Jim, you are most welcome. You did a nice looking job there, bro. Ronco tank? Our original 26 gallon SS tank still okay. Does the Ronco or plastic tank have a larger capacity? How much did it cost?

Hunter did a great job when they built the P42, IMHO. Starboard side access to the main engine is one of my pet peeves, but one just deals with it.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
When i replaced my grey tank with a Ronco- i believed it to be same capacity. Would love to fit a Y valve but cant find anywhere it will fit!

Dec 25, 2000
Would love to fit a Y valve but cant find anywhere it will fit!
Hi Eian, is that the Y valve for the deck pump out/overboard macerator line? The one on our boat is a Y fitting not a valve. Just wondering.