Overboard y-valve on Beneteau 40?

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
I recently purchased an 07 Beneteau 40. The head does not have a macerator and/or an overboeard y-valve for discahrge. Is that the norm? Has anyone else added either macerator or y-valve? I am aware of the local laws concerning overboard discahrge of black water. Any input is appreciated...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Paul... I might suggest you get a copy of @Peggie Hall HeadMistress's book. She details all that is sanitation plumbing. I have found a great resource With regard to your boat a previous owner may have removed the macerator so the they did not have to address the inspection issue of "Is your sanitation system LOCKED to prevent discharge in our protected waters?"

You can install a replacement. Are you sure that it is not in one of the many cabinets on the boat. Most often you find the plumbing for a macerator near the storage tanks. You may have more than one tank on your boat.

There are the two cabin versions with different Head arrangements.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I thought there was a y-valve on the back side of my head that selects holding tank or direct discharge. I think my macerator goes to a different discharge. All new to me too.

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
John, Thanks for the reccommendations. I have Peggy's book and will take a look at her suggestions. I also have the manual for the boat and the original ownersinitial check list, it note's "no macerator". It is something I need to consider mostly so I can clean out the tank on occassion....

Mar 18, 2018
Beneteau 40 Huntington
Thanks....I assume you have a Catalina? Had a Catalina 34 prior to the Beneteau 40. Loved her and she had a macerator....Good luck..Cheers.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I have Peggy's book and will take a look at her suggestions.
Hopefully you have the "new revised, updated and expanded" edition that was released in Feb '16. The original has gotten badly out of day and doesn't include half the information you're looking for. And as always, I'm glad to answer any questions it doesn't.
--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...It is something I need to consider mostly so I can clean out the tank on occassion....
Why get a macerator? They are often a problem. Pumpout boats and docks are there to empty your tank. /// My 2006 B323 came with a Y under the head sink.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I just converted one of my heads to a gravity fed tank and tore out the macerator and all hoses and a thru hull fitting. According to other 423 owners from around the world apprsrently the French built boats are originally designed with gravity fed discharge..... in addition to the deck pumpout option. Trace your hoses and inspect you tank......

Greg

51A0AA81-B97B-4E2E-A800-068825049299.jpeg