On an mdkd gen set- oil capacity and sound shields

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
two questions guys;
1) what is the oil capacity of this ONAN MDKD gen set?
2) on my H42 (1991) the sound shields were not factory fitted- I have always assumed this was because they wouldnt fit- does anyone have these fitted? It's a great feature but SO NOISY!!!!!!!! Would love to be able to quiet it down!!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Eian, a bit quiet relative to your post. No sound shield here other than the original sound deadening material. We run ours for one to two hours every other day during extended cruising to heat water and top off the house bank, so noise is not an issue unlike running it all day/night where summer heat can make matters very uncomfortable.

Regarding the oil capacity of the MDKD, not sure, but I want to say three quarts. I'll check the next time to the boat next week. Service manual says 4.2 quarts for MDKD.

Last edited:

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
I should have thought to email you - you are a wonderfully reliable source of knowledge!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
As a foot note, while the engine specs say 4.2 quarts, that seems a bit high. Normally what I do, because of the limited space above the engine, I add in one half quart increments what I think is about the right amount, check the level and then creep up on the full mark. Then after running the engine for a few minutes to allow the oil filter to fill, top the oil level off.