Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good responses here. You could argue that sailing keeps you fit and active or that it weeds out the less able. We have been required by law to make our club ADA compliant, but i have yet to see anyone wheeled over to a boat. More power to them if they still want to go out. For me, I cycle, lift weights etc to stay as strong, balanced and flexible as I can. Just turned 62. It ain't bad, I get that senior discount!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Following up on @uncledom 's comments ... I just stepped up from a 22-foot daysailor with a tiller to a Catalina 36 with many of the bells-and-whistles, including autopilot. I could barely single-hand the little daysailor because there were many times I had to be in two places at once (mast and tiller, for example). It was getting to the point where I could not balance well on the tiny foredeck (no non-skid either) to tie off at a dock or trailer the thing. Forget about flying the spinnaker alone. All of these things happen in a more stately speed on the C36, and with a little planning it's a pleasure to single-hand. The 'weight' or 'size' of the boat is not as much an issue -- I didn't get off and push either one around! The weight of sails and equipment is more on the larger boat, but still manageable.

I was recently chatting with a 70+ year old dockmate who stepped all the way through the Catalina line, topping out at the C44. He said that his boat is easier to single-hand than my C36 because of the added stuff - boom furler, electric winches, easier ride, etc. When I can't handle my C36 anymore, I'm really thinking that larger may be a better solution than smaller.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm going to agree with uncledom here. A larger boat, but not too large, is more stable and I believe more safe. Stuff happens more slowly. As for the work there's a lot you can do to mitigate the labor. First lose that 150 and take the 135 home. A 110 will work well on most boats and you've just make tacking the boat easy peasy. Get an autopilot. Use a lazy jack or dutchman if you don't have a roller main. Get rid of those winch covers, rail covers, tiller covers etc. which are another thing to do before going away from the dock. Get an electric winch, or winch handle to get the main up. Use slugs. Don't have full length battens. I think the ideal size is about 30'. You have shelter, a real head, probably an inboard engine and yet the sails are small enough to handle.
Or you can get an Alerion Express 28 which is close to automatic.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This is great food for thought, last year the Admiral and I purchased a 41 DS and after not sailing for more than 30 years my memory of my 22 Viking is that the Viking had most everything led back to cockpit, so the only time needed to step out on the deck was to raise and lower the main, (jib had a down haul rigged), but the Viking was a day sailor with no head and a small V-berth, not really what I was looking for.
At this point I have no buyer remorse, the 41 sails very well, is even more comfortable and with its roller furling systems (main & jib) I don't really have an issue with deploying or dousing the sails. At 63 years I can see that in a few years the managing of the main sail may need some careful consideration, but that is what electric winches are for isn't it.
I guess the size of the craft is dependent on what one plans to do, are you a day sailor or are you planning on some cruising in your golden years, I vouch for the cruising aspect, have many places I would love to visit via rag and poles.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I started receiving Medicare in June. Hunter 50 with self tailing jib and cabin top mounted electric winch very easy to sail. Bow thruster makes it easy to dock with only my Wife as deckhand. And my boat does not have roller furling main!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My Beneteau 411 was built to be easy to sail and I am continuing the effort by upgrading instruments and enhancing sail handling gear with the goal of sailing it into my golden years....and have my earthly remains loaded to the cockpit when my time comes and a course set for Cape Hatteras with a 12 hour fuse set to a scuttle charge.

What Charlie said about upkeep, that is easily the hardest part, currently managed with NSAIDs but in the future I will have to hand it off to yard hands.

Currently I am hosting a number of younger sailors to come aboard and sail the boat. These family and friends are learning the systems and will soon be able to sail the boat while I make the sandwiches. Most of them could only hope to have access to this boat and I am happy to facilitate it. Maybe one of them will earn the right to take her one day...and sprinkle my ashes in the Gulf Stream. TBD.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I found that the two most important helpers when sailing singlehanded in Maine 15 years ago were an an autopilot (the kind that tacks and gybes) and lazy jacks. What I found most difficult was picking up the mooring (which Mike says he is on). Could I do it now? Yes. Should I do it now? No.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
These family and friends are learning the systems and will soon be able to sail the boat while I make the sandwiches. Most of them could only hope to have access to this boat and I am happy to facilitate it. Maybe one of them will earn the right to take her one day...and sprinkle my ashes in the Gulf Stream. TBD.
What a wonderful thing!!! one should be so lucky as to have this available, perhaps my sons will embrace the idea of sailing as I have, seems like they are interested just have to get them out with us more often, but their lives (as mine was back then) are rather busy.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I have read all posts. Just Some Guy is right and not trying to be rude. I suspect I may be near the oldest active sailor on this or any forum at 79 yrs old. I exercise regularly and stay in good shape. I sail a Catalina 250 because I do not want a boat that is in the ocean all year and 200 miles from my home. A 250 does not handle tender like the smaller boats that have been described. I have auto steering, DC reefer, head, galley, queen size berth, 135 furler, lines aft. etc.. You can be assured that I can still sail large sailboats but be aware that I am an old retired soldier/sailor, tough, and strong as ....!
Great post! Chief

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I work very hard to quickly step back from instructor mode and let the youngsters take control of the boat. They know they have authority to screw up and are more than willing to ask for help. I won't let them get hurt or crash the boat, but only offer advice if they ask. I do ask questions that cause them to have to know the answer; What is your course? Where are we? How is she trimmed? Do you think we could trim for better boat speed? They start asking questions to help them better understand and answer my questions. Mostly I feel the boat and know her well so the questions come easily. We did one trip in May with 3, 220lb athletes as crew and they easily kept us at the head of the cruising fleet, all I had to do was be their tactician. They were rightfully very proud of themselves and gained massive confidence in their ability. I believe this is the best way to train - allow people to make mistakes under loose reins.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unlike older boats, many new boats are designed for less upkeep, and (more importantly) to be sailed by older and smaller crews.

So if you're willing to look at new, you choice will be based on preference, not length.

The aforementioned Express series is a great case in point. A friend of mine (who owns Karma Yachts in Chicago) delivered an Express 28 to a 70+ year old gentleman on lake Minnetonka. He solos it all the time. But it was almost a quarter of a million bucks.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just Some Guy is...not trying to be rude.
Thanks Chief. If I have come across as rude with my statement on regaining strength and flexibility (just as important IMO), I apologize.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'm 73 and thought that I would have the 26 Macgregor long past owning the 37 Endeavour. That might change. The reason is that the Mac is a trailer boat and the Endeavour lives in the yard. We take the Mac on longer trips and now it takes about 1/2 of a day to get the mast up the boat loaded and in the water. On our last trip last summer after an exhausting 1 1/2 day drive over narrow mountain roads on the way to Wyoming and then setting up and getting in the water I needed almost a day of rest to catch up....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2016 Flam-Gorg/Trip Index.html

... The yard guys will put the Endeavour in the water and we can take our time loading it when we get to Florida so that part will be much easier. Both boats are rigged exactly the same so all the controls are the same which makes it nice for us.

For me it would come down to if I was able to keep the boat in a slip. Then I'd probably keep the smaller boat longer and use her more. I don't have the Mac on the water, so have to see how long I can still get the Mac in and out of the water and still feel like it is worth it. Hopefully for some time longer. The other equation is how mobile are you. It is definitely easier to move around on the larger boat and harder on the smaller boat. If one has mobility problems then for sure the larger boat wins out. If you like to stay out for more than the day the larger boat will probably also win out for most. I have no problem still with longer trips on the small boat and really enjoy them once we are at our destination and she is in the water but some don't like the tight quarters.

Our next test will be the end of Sept. when we hope to go to Lake Powell for 10-14 days. Also I'm not putting the Mac down as hard to launch..

... as you can launch her about anyplace and younger guys that day sail are in the water in 45 minutes or less after hitting the ramp. I'm just not young any longer,

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Sumner: I understand about using a day sailer and all the rigging involved every time you sail. My boat is put in for the season and comes out at end of season. Rigging a tall mast 250 is not easy or fast! Chief

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I wanted to up-size years back but it never happened.. now my old 34 seems about perfect for the way we use it..

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
61 now retired and supporting two kids through college (they will both be debt free if they work hard) for another couple years. But when that burden is done.. the idea of a boat that is comfortable for two "seniors" mostly marina living sure sounds like a good thing. Somewhat of a "cabin" in the marina that you can also take out on shorter trips or just move around for months at a time. Maybe keep a boat in a slip somewhere in Southern California or the Pacific NW. Maybe in a slip for six months of the year, then on the hard for six months while you do something else. I enjoy all the threads on this forum when some one is looking for a larger boat (like the current one for a 36 foot boat) and the ability to single hand will be very important to me.. and I wont have the budget for a new boat. Currently my trailerable old Mac 26S and a Hobie TI works well. But simply a big change and new adventure that will come from simply attempting to own the larger boat seems to me that it would be a lot of fun!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
"Gabriel" washes and details the boat every 2 weeks, it gets polished and waxed yearly, diver cleans bottom every month and does the zincs as needed, the rigger can go up and fix my VHF ant., my bosun's chair is for emergency use only now. I try to maximize sailing time rather than waste the diminishing resources of my time and body on "cleaning chores".
While I do always admire the Alerion, there's a guy with a Corsair 28 keeps coming out and "baiting" me.
My boat is so easy to single I really prefer it, no whining and no one in the way, sometimes friends with bigger boats worth twice as much want to take my boat because it's just "easier".

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
My very best wishes to all you seniors who stay in the sport, somehow, someway. My pappy sailed until he was 83 and would have found a way to keep going if illness had not taken him. Even at the end we were planning his next trip. Never give up.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think moving down from 33' to mid 20's would probably be a mistake as you get older. I'm finding that our 27' boat is too small to be comfortable, and the stress of sailing in higher wind is pretty demanding. I think size would improve comfort both at anchor and sailing. I'm 62 and Sue is 55. The biggest struggle for me is that the spaces inside the cabin and in the cockpit are just too small. I can't stand up full height just about anywhere unless I'm in the companionway with the hatch open, or on deck. The height of the bimini is just miserable and there are times in the summer when the bimini is necessary.
Last weekend, while we were unloading, Sue fractured a bone in her foot, primarily because the cramped space makes moving around awkward.
I think that if sailing a 33' boat is becoming more difficult as you age, the systems aren't in place to simplify your sailing. I would concentrate on making your systems more convenient. I'm hoping that 32' to 34' might be in the sweet spot for us to sail with more comfort. I'm finding that I'm happy single handing our 27' boat, but 2 of us on the boat is not working so well.

Feb 11, 2017
Rival 32 Traverse City, MI
I find I am just as likely to sit on the mooring as go through the workout to go sailing.
Is there anything particular about the "workout" or the boat that discourages you from going sailing?
I'm 69 and can easily singlehand my 32 footer. I'm not personally familiar with your boat but if I'm looking at the correct specs, my boat displaces about 1,000 pounds more than yours and my sail area is a bit less -- but most of that difference is in the fore triangle.
If all you're doing is day sailing, downsizing may make sense. But if you're planning on doing any cruising, a 33 footer is a reasonable choice. And I'm not seeing anything from the specs that would make it overly difficult to singlehand.
Rather than upsizing or downsizing, would it be possible to make some modifications so the boat would be easier for you to handle? A smaller foresail, lazy jacks, and autopilot have all been mentioned. There may be other mods as well.
I'm also wondering whether part of the problem is that you're just not used to the boat yet. I moved up to my current boat from a 26 footer. Despite years of experience, it still took me three seasons to get really comfortable with my 32 footer plus some mods to make sailing it easier. If I had to choose today between my old and new boat, I'd pick my 32 footer. And I'm content with that -- I have no desire for a longer boat.