Older Lewmar Winches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
I would like to tear down, clean, and re-grease my cabin-top Lewmar 16's. They are the older single speed self-tailing ones that are original on the boat from 1983. The Lewmar winch manual copy I have only goes back to the '92 to present generation ones.

Is anyone familiar with the removal of the winch top on these winches? There are no screwed-on caps or split rings evident to remove to begin the process.

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
Not sure if its the same winch but I just took apart my Lewmar 23 which I assume is original equipment on my Hunter 31 (85).

On the top of the winch is a cap that screws off. Then the "Drum" has a guide slot that spirals down that you cant see until the drum is off. I took a winch handle and tapped upward on it moving forward a few inches with each tap. It was a bear to get off but managed to get it up about 5 inches which was enough to clean and re-grease the gears inside.

Its a 2 speed winch for what its worth.

Hope it helps!

btw: I couldnt find any docs online either...

Jun 3, 2004
Island Packet Island Packet 29 West River, MD
Dan,

I think I have the manual on board. I'll be going down on Saturday. If you want me to look send me an email. I can fax or scan and email what I have.

Joe Mullee

Oct 14, 2005
Lewmar Winch - Don/Joe/Rich...

Don, thanks for the site reference. It appears that the PDF is the same as the manual I have only mine specifically identifies '92 or newer models. Otherwise the pictures are all the same.

Joe, yes, I would appreciate a copy of your document if it is the one that covers these earlier winches. I would only be interested in the portion that covers the Model 16 single speed self-tailer.

Rich, thanks, I'll drop him an info request.

For everyone's reference, the Lewmar Model 16 winch I have has the lift finger cast into the top plate on the winch. There is no retainer clip on the top of the barrel where a winch handle gets inserted nor is there an allen set-screw at the bottom of the barrel. No other method of attachement is evident.

One of my dock friends believes that the lift arm needs to be struck laterally using a wood block for protection and a mallet or hammer for impetus. I'm not from the Tim Allen school so will await confirmation as to the best way to remove the winch top.

Now for some hurricane prep instead of winch maintenance!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Re: Lewmar Winch - Don/Joe/Rich...

The wood block/mallet aproach is the correct one. Mine on a '79 boat came apart easily. If every thing does not come up roses for you, I have a casting that you can have for shipping cost. My problem was a broken gear and there are no more, not even in Austraila.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Don, thanks for the site reference. It appears that the PDF is the same as the manual I have only mine specifically identifies '92 or newer models. Otherwise the pictures are all the same.

Joe, yes, I would appreciate a copy of your document if it is the one that covers these earlier winches. I would only be interested in the portion that covers the Model 16 single speed self-tailer.

Rich, thanks, I'll drop him an info request.

For everyone's reference, the Lewmar Model 16 winch I have has the lift finger cast into the top plate on the winch. There is no retainer clip on the top of the barrel where a winch handle gets inserted nor is there an allen set-screw at the bottom of the barrel. No other method of attachement is evident.

One of my dock friends believes that the lift arm needs to be struck laterally using a wood block for protection and a mallet or hammer for impetus. I'm not from the Tim Allen school so will await confirmation as to the best way to remove the winch top.

Now for some hurricane prep instead of winch maintenance!!!
Dan,

Are they older Lewmar "England" winches? If so I have some photos of a re-build I have not yet written into an article..

Apr 5, 2011
Hunter 34 Tilghman Island, Md
I have two 16's on my cabin top. One is like yours, the other is the replacement (newer) version, both original. Must have been only one left of the older version when they built my boat.

As others havel said, wooden block, light taps with a hammer. Before I took mine apart this past spring I dropped a lot of liquid wrench into the small gap between where the spindle on the handle goes and the top. Spun right off.

Oct 14, 2005
MaineSail...

Don't know if they're "England" ones or not, but any pics that show how YOU, especially, disassembled one would be GREATLY appreciated!

Will try to remember to take my camera and take a pic of the rascal when I'm down the boat to strip sails and canvas off to prep for Irene.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Don't know if they're "England" ones or not, but any pics that show how YOU, especially, disassembled one would be GREATLY appreciated!

Will try to remember to take my camera and take a pic of the rascal when I'm down the boat to strip sails and canvas off to prep for Irene.
Dan,

I am heading off cruising tomorrow morning an don't have time to get the pics up before I leave but I may be able to email some to you. Send me a PM, with your email, by about 8:30am EST, and I try and get them off to you.

Oct 14, 2005
MaineSail...

I can now confirm that, indeed they are "English" Lewmar 16's.

No rush for the pics. Spent yesterday getting the boat battened down for the hurricane.

I have the probability of finding some persistant on-going leaking from somewhere on the cabin top to deal with before I can get back to regular maintenance on the winches, etc. I can only imagine what the hurricane will leave behind to do.

When you get back is fine. Your help will be most appreciated.

Enjoy your cruise!

PS. Your butyl tape link is asking for a password.

Oct 14, 2005
MaineSail...

that makes sense to me! It will give me time to figure out how much I'll need.

Many thanks...

Jun 3, 2004
Island Packet Island Packet 29 West River, MD
"How To Srvice Your Lewmar Winch, 1982"

That's the title of the manual I have from Lewmar complete with step by step instructions with photo's under the following headings:

Single Speed 6,7,8,10 Servicing
Two Speed 16,24,30,40,42 Servicing
Three Speed 44,48,55,65 Servicing
Halliard Nos 1,2,2X2,3 Servicing
Holdfast Self-Tailing 16ST,30ST Installation and Operation
Holdfast Self-Tailing 16ST,30ST Adjustment
Holdfast Self-Tailing 16ST,30ST Servicing
Wavegrip Self-Tailing 40ST,42ST,44ST,48ST,55ST,65ST Operation and Adjustment
Wavegrip Self-Tailing40ST,42ST,44ST,48ST Servicing
Wavegrip Self-Tailing 55ST,65ST Servicing

It's a total of 20 pages cover to cover. If you think it might be hepful I could Xerox it and send it your way. Just send me a private email.

Joe Mullee

Oct 14, 2005
Joe...

Thanks for the offer. I believe that Maine Sail will be able to solve my issue when he gets back from his cruise. The manual you have sounds a lot like the one I have in PDF format.

The winches in question are the ones labeled "England" on their top. MS has apparently done one of his excellent maintenance reports with pics on them and will be able to send something when he is able to.

I've got to track down a cabin top leak and rebed starboard fixed ports before I get back to tackling the winch maintenance issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.