Old drilled holes

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 36mkII Savannah GA GA
The previous owner had a life raft bolted to the cabin top. When I got the boat the raft was gone and left behind were twelve holes in the cabin top. Three in each corner where the raft was. The holes were filed with a gray caulking that matched the gray deck very well but I don’t know what it is. I have had the boat for nine years and it has held up that well. But alas one set of three has started to leak. The question is should I drill out the caulk and re-caulk or should I drill out and use and epoxy filler?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The previous owner had a life raft bolted to the cabin top. When I got the boat the raft was gone and left behind were twelve holes in the cabin top. Three in each corner where the raft was. The holes were filed with a gray caulking that matched the gray deck very well but I don’t know what it is. I have had the boat for nine years and it has held up that well. But alas one set of three has started to leak. The question is should I drill out the caulk and re-caulk or should I drill out and use and epoxy filler?
epoxy.... but make sure you get ALL the old caulking out and you have a fresh clean hole for the epoxy to adhere to, or your efforts will will be a waste of time..

remove as much of the wood core as is reasonable possible from between the laminates so the epoxy can become integrated better rather than just forming a plug in a hole, such as you could just as easily do by filling it with a piece of epoxy saturated dowling, but the waterproofness may not last with a simple plug ....