Oil pressure "Y"

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I have found oil gauge is really not that important,I change my oil more than really needed but oil so cheap and check the dip stick often before every start up and make sure the idiot warning light is working and look under the engine for any kind of leak.
I find that a temperature gauge is more important and found that when motoring how important it it is if and when something clogs the strainer or maybe there is a problem with a leak can over heat and cause big problems and been boating many years and it is cooling related problems happen more and so I do a temp gauge at the helm and if I see that gauge is showing higher than normal than I know to check things out but that's just me and so far been working real good.
Nick
Makes sense. There is a temp gauge (and idiot light) on the console already. It's not real easy to check the oil level on the C310, so I don't do it very often. I think having both actual temperature and pressure on the console is a good idea and will let me monitor trends over time.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Makes sense. It's not real easy to check the oil level on the C310, so I don't do it very often.
?????

We have the best engine access I have seen in any boat under 40 feet and better than many boats bigger than that. You tilt the stairs forward and the dip stick is directly in front of you. You barely have to bend over to check the oil.

Nov 16, 2012
?????

We have the best engine access I have seen in any boat under 40 feet and better than many boats bigger than that. You tilt the stairs forward and the dip stick is directly in front of you. You barely have to bend over to check the oil.
For us it's: close the head door (open so the dogs will hopefully use the pee pad in there), move the towels off the top of the stairs, unclip both sides, rotate the table so the stairs don't hit it when open... I agree it's not terrible, and better than most, but a little door that opened on the side would be simpler for me. :banghead::)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
a little door that opened on the side would be simpler for me. :banghead::)
So install one. The stairs are just fiberglass. Wouldn't be that hard. Still sounds like a less than 30 second problem. As far as the table, shorten the line holding the stairs so it doesn't hit the table. It's actually not a problem we have because we removed the tables and installed a new one on the bulkhead with draws in it.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I find that a temperature gauge is more important and found that when motoring how important it it is if and when something clogs the strainer or maybe there is a problem with a leak can over heat and cause big problems and been boating many years and it is cooling related problems happen more and so I do a temp gauge at the helm and if I see that gauge is showing higher than normal than I know to check things out but that's just me and so far been working real good.
Nick
My experience is the same as Nick. I've had my engine overheat twice--once on my old boat when the heat exchanger sprung a leak, and once on my C310 when I forgot to open the through-hull. I've never had a voltage or oil issue.

Nov 16, 2012
So install one. The stairs are just fiberglass. Wouldn't be that hard. Still sounds like a less than 30 second problem. As far as the table, shorten the line holding the stairs so it doesn't hit the table. It's actually not a problem we have because we removed the tables and installed a new one on the bulkhead with draws in it.
You're right; I'm being lazy...

Nov 16, 2012
My experience is the same as Nick. I've had my engine overheat twice--once on my old boat when the heat exchanger sprung a leak, and once on my C310 when I forgot to open the through-hull. I've never had a voltage or oil issue.
I've also forgotten the thru-hull; then stood there for a few minutes wondering what that noise was!! Last week the oil alarm started sounding very weakly. It went away after a few minutes. Oil level all fine. Could have been a flaky connection, so I'm hoping the pressure gauge gives me additional info.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I guess I like as much info without overload. I want it in front of me and to have non normal situations called to my attention. This is what myhelm looks like while motoring. If temp gets to high or oil press too low I need to physically acknowledge it by hitting ok (on both the mfd and I70).
IMG_2255.JPG

Nov 16, 2012
I guess I like as much info without overload. I want it in front of me and to have non normal situations called to my attention. This is what myhelm looks like while motoring. If temp gets to high or oil press too low I need to physically acknowledge it by hitting ok (on both the mfd and I70). View attachment 138380
Those i70s are nice. I've got three ST60s for depth, speed, and wind (original equipment), plus an e7d and P70 autopilot that I added. Replacing the ST60s with i70s as well as the sensors would be a big and expensive project, unfortunately...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The only "Bad" thing about the I70 (besides price) is acknowledging all the damn AIS alerts. I wish folks would turn the darn things off when tied up in the marina. Not shown in the pic above is my e7d and a fusion radio remote - the fusion remote can also display lots of NEMA 2K data if desired.

If I want to read the analogue gauge I need to get on hands and knees to view them - and my hearing is bad so I cant hear the pizeo alarm - this setup works for me (only wish I had alternator output on there).

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
only wish I had alternator output on there
All in due time I am sure.
Love your gauges... gives me the feeling of a plane cockpit. Now if you go and install an horizon indicator we'll need to talk...