Oil Pan Replacement Universal M-18 Catalina 27 1985

Feb 9, 2011
Catalina 27 Forked River NJ
Is there enough room under the engine to replace the oil pan without lifting the engine?
I know hand space would be tight, and a lot of working by feel, but is there enough clearance?
Anyone out there done it?

Thanks

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Post that picture you sent me of the pan. See if others think the pan needs replacing. Dipstick tube, yes; but pan, even though it looks rusty, may be salvageable, especially since we assume you've eradicated the water/rust source. Get opinions on that pic before you spend $300 on a pan plus a knuckle banger to replace it :)

Edit: I just noticed that my reply to your PM may not have transmitted.
In it I said that once you get the tube off, the inside might still be clean and with good integrity. Scrape some rust off the pan and check the metal.
I did not replace my pan, only the tube. Although my pan is a little better shape.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I don't know about your 27 - but there is not enough room on my M25 - Catalina 36 combo remove the pan before with the engine in place.

Feb 9, 2011
Catalina 27 Forked River NJ
Here is a picture of where the dipstick tube connects to the pan. I was going to replace the tube but when I saw where it connected to the pan I became a little hesitant to start loosening bolts. We all know what happens when you poke the bear in the cage. Bolt breaks, need parts, wait for parts, sailing season shot.
I did do some very rough poking around on the tube with a sharp object, and it is still very solid, just lots and lots of surface rust. Thinking about sanding as best as possible priming then painting. Any thoughts?
20170128_130631_1485782304434.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
to me it looks far enough gone I would pull the pan and weld new metal in there - and replace the dipstick if available - fab a new one if not. If it started leaking - you could be out of oil before you knew it -