Oil leak / Oil Filter

Jun 15, 2009
Catalina 387 Waterford Harbor, Kemah Texas
My 2005 Catalina 387 Hull #71 has developed an oil leak after I changed the oil. When replacing the oil filter I noticed that the PO had used a fuel filter for an oil filter. Don't know anything about the filter except it was black in color and said "fuel filter" on it looked just like the fuel filter on the engine. While changing the oil I installed the Yanmar filter listed for the 3JH4E which was much smaller in diameter than the fuel filter I took off, it looked small but looked like it fit. Ran the engine after the change for about 20 minutes with no leaks. Then after about 5 hours of running I noticed about a pint of oil under the engine. I checked the filter and wiped a drop of oil from the bottom of the filter. Drained the engine oil and replaced the filter with the spare I had and have the same problem. I doubt that I got two bad filters. So my questions is: Are there different size filters for different year engines? Is there anything else down by the filter that I could have bumped that is leaking oil? What is the part number of the correct oil filter? The serial number on the engine says E00343 and it has the 80 amp alternator. I know this makes a difference for the belt but don't know if anything else was changed on this engine. I have changed oil on many other engines without problems so I don't think it's me but who knows. Just frustrated.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Most Yanmar 1, 2 and 3 cylinder use the same filter, the factory part #119305-35151 which has now been replaced by part #119305-35170.
However, on the Catalina specific listing I'll paste below you'll note that it doesn't say the 380 uses that filter until hull number 226, so I'm a little perplexed.
Applications include these engines (and the boats that we are aware used these engines... There could be other combinations as well):
  • 1GM10CD-SD20 (Catalina 250)
  • 2GM20F (Capri 26 and Capri 270)
  • 3YM20F (Catalina 270's after 10/2005, Catalina 309, Catalina 315)
  • 3GM30F (Catalina 320)
  • 3YM30 (Catalina 320 Hull 994 & up, Catalina 355)
  • 3JH3BE (Catalina 380 Hull 226 & up, Morgan 381, Catalina 387 Hulls 1 through 60)
  • 3JH4BE (Catalina 387 Hull 61+)
  • 3JH5 (Catalina 375, Catalina 385)
I use that filter on my 3GM30F and it is a tiny little rascal, maybe see if a Wix or other brand doesn't have a larger sealing area that may help.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
since the PO clearly did not know what he was doing you might want to check the engine side of the oil filter to make sure there is not an old gasket stuck to it. Saw this a couple of times when doing auto mechanics, the square O-ring gasket comes off the filter and when you replace it with a new one it keeps the new filter's gasket from making good contact. Seen minor dripping to major squirting. Also take the new o-ring off the filter and check for fit on the engine. Should be completely on the flat mating surface.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Right. Standard procedure on any engine: look at the old filter, make sure the gaskets still on it, wipe your finger around the mating surface on the engine removing any crud, finally wipe a coating of new oil on the new filter gasket before screwing it on.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Match the old fuel filter to the new oil filter gasket and make sure they fit or just
try taking the gasket off one of the oil filters and fit it to the mount on the engine and do the things mentioned above.
Nick

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Sorry for the late weigh in. The thread of the wrong filter may have caused and left a burr on the male thread that the filter mates to. If so it is likely that the correct filters could not bottom out and seal. Try wiping the male thread with a cloth. If burred the cloth should grab.
If this happens you’ll need to chase the threads with a die.

Rick