O'day gray??

Jan 22, 2009
O'day 240 Muskegon
I am painting my rudder this spring am wondering if anyone else has tried to match the late 80's gray. My thought was t start with a white Brightside and slowly blend drops of black until it matches. Thoughts??

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
It's always so much easier if you can bring a piece of the grey to get scanned with a spectrophotometer at your paint store. The problem is that grey isn't just black and white, there's probably a bit of blue and who knows what other colors to it. But of course, unless you've recently added a through hull, who has a piece of grey topsides they can bring inside a paint store? Personally, I think I'd just paint it white and be done with it... Long history of white foils on boats, so it won't look out of place.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I had not thought about painting the rudder gray...or grey??? I have always heard we should not paint our rudder's black because of heat I assume....the grey would be a good color....I would call Rudy at D & R Marine to see if he can identify
the grey color....I might use it too..I need to order the teak slides for the sliding companion way hatch on my 272 as my wife
fell down the companion way ladder (backwards) last labor day, busting up her knee real bad, and also I've discovered , busted the teak slides on the cabin top when falling against the sliding hatch.....will post the color here if Rudy has a close match....
Patrick

Jan 22, 2009
O'day 240 Muskegon
A follow up . . I had a rudder that I wanted to paint the O'day gray, and a 4"dia bear spot on the port bow, so I have done several things and have gotten a match to at least the gray that is my boat at this moment. The color using Sherwin Williams is HGSW1485 which is equal to SW6002 with a CMYK of 0,2,4,26. I found that by mixing Pettit Pearl Gray (3706) with Interlux (4258) Black at a ratio of 8Oz of gray to 37 ML black was the match for me. I have also worked at a gelcoat formula using the Evercoat tinting colors in Hi Bond White gelcoat 1)part red, 1)part blue, 4)parts yellow, & 26)parts black. Slowly mix the color slurry into the white, gradually adding more white until I matched. I am searching for a better way to measure the units. A gram scale is too course for the mixing of the gelcoat. On my next attempt I will borrow a grain scale from a friend that reloads. I am very happy with the rudder match, I need warmer weather to move forward with the hull repair. Due to fading and all that can happen to gelcoat in 29 years 'your individual mileage may vary'

Aug 28, 2006
Oday Mariner Waterford, CT
WayneCatt,

Thanks for the information. I need to repair some gelcoat cracks and this will be very helpful. Please post on the the hull repairs go.