O'Day 28 - What headsail size?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I have a 150% currently, and am looking at new sails for No Worries. What headsail size do you have? What is recommended?

Lake Michigan sailing - mainly day sailing with a few short trips and a couple of friendly races per year. I do have a symmetric spin aboard.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had a 150 and a 110 in Barnegat Bay NJ. The 110 was perfect for most days, but that was a fairly high wind area (winds in the upper teens most afternoons). On the few days when the prevailing wind didn't kick in we'd use the 150.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Hey, Apex, I sail a Catalina 28 (1996) out of Harbour Towne Marina, Muskegon. When I got my boat, the main was good, but the 150 genoa was toast. I opted for a 135, and have not regretted it. Like you, we mostly daysail, with a handful of trips north or south. No racing. We like to sail our boat to her potential in the given conditions (as opposed to those folks you know who don't like it when it gets "tippy"). No spin onboard. Key advantage to 135 is that it's easier to come about. The disadvantage would be those times that I wish I had just a little more sail area, but in reality, I'm trying to remember when that happened with the variety of winds we get here. We often find that both sails unreefed are perfect for conditions, which is to say that if we had a 150, we'd be reefed.

On a given day, I might be lazy and sail Muskegon Lake on just the genoa with a moderate breeze, but usually hit the big lake. Typically, I'll use both sails, unreefed, or reef just the main, or reef main and genoa, or not sail at all. It's a very narrow range of wind that would cause me to miss the 150.

All that said, I don't suppose there's a wrong answer with regard to 135 vs. 150 in our locale. But for me, if my 135 was stolen tomorrow, I'd buy another 135.

Oh, and watch for Straycat out there, and wave when you go by our little green house by the Silversides!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
will do Siamese. Dean sails a Catalina 28 out of our marina (Conservation Club), nice boats. I will look for the house, I envy all of them while, if possible, sailing up/down the channel. Is yours the tiny little house? So many are now Huuuge! along there.

I don't like having the reef the headsail because of shape loss. which is why the thought of a 135 as a good compromise. Thanks for the input.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
...thanks Stu. I remember that discussion, and the 135 does better in light, up to a point, then 150, and then back to 135. We do also get quite a speed bubble in the main because the genoa and main slot is so long. Food for thought and discussion points with the sailmakers for sure.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
will do Siamese. Dean sails a Catalina 28 out of our marina (Conservation Club), nice boats. I will look for the house, I envy all of them while, if possible, sailing up/down the channel. Is yours the tiny little house? So many are now Huuuge! along there.

I don't like having the reef the headsail because of shape loss. which is why the thought of a 135 as a good compromise. Thanks for the input.
We're the green, cedar sided house with beige garage door, right across the street from the sub museum. You'll see us.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
135% it is, just ordered the suite of sails: Challenge Warp Drive Tri-Radial :O)