O'Day 272LE winch relocation

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
Has anyone thought about relocating the self tailing winches closer to the wheel for easier control of the sheets. I single hand and must stand in front of the wheel to tack. It's great for 2 people but not for one. Any good suggestions?

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Interesting thought.. I just got used to stepping in front of the wheel.. Moving it aft would make it problematic when you do have someone to help though.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chuck. Do you use an Autopilot? Are the winches self tailing? I added the autopilot and ST winches this year and solo sailing has been a relaxing experience. Press the AP to tack (turn 90 degrees). Then step forward and work the jib. I then reset the heading to what I want and then trim the sails.

Leave winches and get an Autopilot. It will be like having an extra hand aboard.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Chuck, I bought longer sheets so I could control them from the wheel on 'most' occasions...with a little stretching, that is....same for the traveler....I can control the traveler easily from the helm...back to the winches.I did install jam cleats aft of the winches..oriented toward the helmsman's area behind the wheel......shouldn't forget that.....as it these little kids that allow me to cleat them off after adjusting...I also extended the traveler sheets to the stern again, so I could control the traveler from the helmsman seat.....all this allows me to single-hand on a normal day...when it gets gusty I don't go out by myself....Pat

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
Thanks to all of you for your input. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I guess I'll just deal with the situation.Happy sailing to all....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Leave winches and get an Autopilot. It will be like having an extra hand aboard.
Absolutely. Stop being a slave behind the wheel. The only time I'm behind the wheel is when leaving and coming back to dock.