O’Day 272 Renovation

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Figured I would just put everything under one thread instead of asking questions individual. I bought a 272 back in the summer and she has been sitting on the trailer waiting for me to get started this winter. Winter Has Come! The guy I bought her from sailed her every season before he decided he was getting to old to sail.

Gonna call her a project Boat because honestly once you get in there fixing things seems you always find more that needs to be done.

I have decided to remove the carpet liner because parts of it is molded and nasty and it allows me access the the entire top to rebed and widen the holes and fill them with epoxy to prevent water intrusion. I am sure I will find places where water has already made its way into the core.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
1st area of concern. If you look real close at the edge of the window you can see a dark spot. That’s exposed wood and yes it’s wet. Planning on doing a few test drill holes from the bottom tomorrow to see how far it goes.
Question is, can I repair the core from the bottom side? The top of the boat looks really good with a few cracks but nothing really bad. Unless I have extensive core issues I really don’t want to start cutting up the top sides.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Question is, can I repair the core from the bottom side?
Hillbilly,
I can't imagine why you couldn't do just that. It would save a lot of work, as long as you can get to the whole area.
I was taught to kill the dry rot with bleach and then use a large syringe to fill the area with resin.
You may not have to open the whole area up as long as the rot is stopped and the core can be made sound again. It would be important to find the edges of the rotted core so you can be sure to keep it from spreading.

Great purchase.

- Will (Dragonfly)