O'Day 25 for a novice sailor?

robk27

May 29, 2018
O'Day 25 Madison
Hoping to get some advice from some experienced Sailers.

I’ve found a 1979 O’Day 25 that is nearby and is in pretty good condition considering its age. I’ve consumed books and forums in terms of learning what to look for when inspecting the boat, looking for any leaks, water damage or compromises to the hardware, keel and hull. The boat looks very solid except for a few drip leaks from a couple portlights. The bulkheads and chainplates are solid, no water damage that I can see. The owner is also offering to transport, rig and help me sail her the first few times.

The issue isn’t necessarily the boat, but the fact that I have limited sailing experience. I’ve only been sailing a year, mostly on a 10’ Tech Dinghy along with a few introductory keelboat lessons through the Hoofers Sailing Club in Madison.

This is intended to be a family day-sailer and weekend boat on a big inland lake. I’m trying to get in as many lessons as I can, but this has been slow due to limited class availability. I do plan to take the ASA 101 course later in the summer.

I’m cautious and nervous about biting more than I can chew, and I want to make this a safe and enjoyable experience for my family. Should I wait to get in more sailing experience and complete the ASA course this season, or is purchasing the O’Day now a good way to really learn to sail? Life is passing us by and I’m hoping to build some memories out in the water before my son gets to his teenage years. I have found available mooring spaces this season if I decide to move forward.

Any advice from seasoned sailors and O’day owners if most appreciated.

Cheers to you all, and thanks!

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Your sailing experience thus far is way ahead of where I was when I got into a 22 foot Mac. Now I’m in a Hunter 25 and she is just about the best size for lake sailing. My advice, if the boat is in good shape, is to go for it. Learning by doing especially on your own boat is the best way in my books. Sounds like you have the basics under your belt and the rest will come by doing.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I agree with Sailavie1. I had probably less experience than yourself and bought a 1975 O'Day 27 as my first boat. It taught me a whole heck of a lot having my own boat versus using one from a school. O'Day made solid boats; the 25 isn't too large at all, and if the engine is in good shape, most other things are repairable as you go along. If you like it, by all means, buy it.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Check the deck for soft spots, especially at the toe rails, chain plates, and mast step. They leak there, I owned one. Not fun to replace core or bulkheads when you would rather be sailing. You won't point awesomely or set set any speed records but, it will get you "there".

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As CB notes I would really really check the deck for water ingress and softness. It is 40 years old. Most of the time this type of damage will not be visible, but detectable with careful checking. A wet deck will ruin your summer.

As for the boat, once set up it can be a reliable, honest way to learn to sail. It is designed to be sturdy and under-powered in most situations, making it a good boat to learn on. Enjoy.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That boat sounds perfect for a novice like you. You do your research, you pay attention, you already know how to sail (year in 10' dinghy), you aren't afraid to ask questions or accept help. Good for you. Accept the previous owner's offer and wring him for every ounce of information you can.

- Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I really have liked my O'day 25 for a year now and got a new motor and sails this year. My best lesson learned take her out in mild wind, no more the 10-15 knots thr first year. Make it fun for everyone so less wind means less to go wrong.

Look at the bulkheads at the chainpates, the base and the base of the compression post for wet or rot wood. Repairable for sure but muzt be solid to be safe.