Oday 240, Do you tow a dinghy?

Sep 18, 2017
Oday 240 Middle River
My previous boat had a rail mount for a 2 1/2 hp motor. I would keep the motor on the rail and the 7 foot dinghy rolled up on the bow. It actually helped balance the weight on the boat.

The problem with Oday 240 is I can mount the motor to the rails. I don't like the idea of keeping the motor filled with gas (integrated tank) in the boat.

Anybody else use a dinghy with a 240? I can always row, but I sooner tow a kayak than try and row a blow up dinghy.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
I got an inflatable, 2 man kayak as the dinghy for my 240. Although I haven't used it yet, I figure it is easily stowe-able, and I don't need a motor. My plan is to use it for cruising only... I don't need to use it to row out and back to my mooring.

Dec 11, 2016
Oday 240 Lake Jacomo
I use a kayak to get into my 240... but my boat has been modified to move the motor. I now have a walk-through transome. I really believe this is MUCH better than original design. I have a fold up swim ladder where the motor used to be. But...back to the kayak which was the point of this post. My 240 is on a mooring ball and Im a ways out. The docks have loaner row boats but they are horrible and have to be returned immediately. o, I use the kayak and will either leave it on my mooring ot tow it behind.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about an electric motor?
No gas, leave batteries strapped into dinghy.
- Will (Dragonfly)