Registered users don't see ads

Oday 23 core repair pics and leak question

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by Peter Sai-Ngarm, May 17, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Peter Sai-Ngarm

Peter Sai-Ngarm

Joined Nov 8, 2016
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 23
    US SF Bay SF North Bay
    Hey all. I recently purchased an oday 23. I've gone sailing on it a few times now in the San Francisco Bay Area. Recently finished recoring the deck behind the mast. However I have noticed a large amount of leaking within just a few hours of sailing. Water would come up above the floorboards. I did see that the through hull on the right rear was left open to the water. However there is also a decent amount of spider cracking on some portions of the hull in general. Any tips for identifying the leakage? I have plugged the through hole and I'm planning on taking it out again. I have two pumps on board plus a manual backup. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Peter Sai-Ngarm

Peter Sai-Ngarm

Joined Nov 8, 2016
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 23
    US SF Bay SF North Bay
    Fyi this is a 1978 oday 23-2

3. SchwarckT

SchwarckT

Joined Jul 5, 2010
    161 posts, 6 likes
    Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15
    US Michigan
    If it leaks while sailing but not at the dock, it may be the centerboard pendant tube. My 1980 O'Day 22 would only leak under sail but not at anchor. Water comes up the tube when sailing with the board down especially when sailing close-hauled but not so much with the board up and sailing downwind.

4. Peter Sai-Ngarm

Peter Sai-Ngarm

Joined Nov 8, 2016
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 23
    US SF Bay SF North Bay
    Thanks for the tip. Did you fix it, and if so how?

5. SchwarckT

SchwarckT

Joined Jul 5, 2010
    161 posts, 6 likes
    Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15
    US Michigan
    I found that the factory tube ended an inch or so below the opening into the cockpit. I replaced it with a longer piece of PVC tubing.

Peter Sai-Ngarm likes this.
  6. Peter Sai-Ngarm

Peter Sai-Ngarm

Joined Nov 8, 2016
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 23
    US SF Bay SF North Bay
    Alright. The hull looks pretty tight to me, so I'm thinking it is likely one of the two through hulls or the center board tube.

I don't see an easy way to check the centerboard much on the trailer. I might opt to dive around it or ask about how expensive a lift and check would be at a marina.

7. Peter Sai-Ngarm

Peter Sai-Ngarm

Joined Nov 8, 2016
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 23
    US SF Bay SF North Bay
    Just updating this thread for posterity: The leak was indeed from the through hull under the cockpit on the starboard side. As for the center board through hull - it looks as though the factory or someone just after buying it glassed all over the post.
    This boat is dry dry dry, and the recoring, while it isn't visually perfect, is strong as an ox. Really glad I did it.
    Sailed it outside the gate, and new mainsail on the way!

8. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    210 posts, 48 likes
    Oday 23-2, S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    Happy you found the leak. I'm really happy I just had a very small area under the mast step, on our '78, to repair as far as the core goes. You did a nice job. Is that the original mast? The spreaders look different than ours. Looks like you are having fun. We enjoyed the bay a couple of weeks ago with a sail from Alameda up to Benicia for a couple of nights on our friends Cristina 40. We will probably get up there again later in the summer. Where do you sail out of?

Peter Sai-Ngarm likes this.
  9. Peter Sai-Ngarm

Peter Sai-Ngarm

Joined Nov 8, 2016
    6 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 23
    US SF Bay SF North Bay
    Then you sailed right past me! I just put my boat in Marina Bay in Point Richmond after its inaugural sail a few weeks ago from Petaluma. My boat definitely had deferred maintenance going on, but she's getting to be almost proper these days, after almost 2 months of non stop work to make her seaworthy and safe as I can. Have no idea about the mast or the boom for that matter. Look me up on facebook, linkedin or message me here if you want to ever stop by.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.