O'Day 1987 35

Jan 15, 2013
Shopping 32 Kralendijk
I am looking at buying a 1987 35 in Florida. The only "known" issues are some
leakage from the stanchion bases, so these will need to be drilled, epoxied and rebedded. A survey is coming next week but is there anything specific to look for on thes boats? Thanks!

Gordon

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
check the chain-plates. Stick your head in lockers looking for any tabbing liner-to-hull that is broken. G/L with the purchase.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I am not aware of issues with stanchion bases leaking unless they were damaged from an impact. You may want to look into that a bit further. O'day did not seal any deck penitrations so wet core wiill be an issue certainly around the stanchions.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Great boats. I've had to redo my bottom because of blisters but this can be a problem with any older boat. I think the 34/35 are a great value. You can expect projects on any 30 year old boat but I think it is a matter of how that particular boat was maintained and if the projects are greater than your willingness and skill level are able to handle. No regrets on my purchase. I would make it again in a heart beat. I think it is around 10 years now.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Mega Dittos! as above.
Has the boat been maintained by an active owner? Frequent issues with all boats over five to ten years are wet deck areas, rigging condition and engine mechanicals. In general, O'day boats do not have an Achilles heal.
As with any boat of any age be prepared to do regular repair and maintenance...part of the fun in my book....or write a lot of checks.
Good luck.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
I had a 1980 30' O'Day that had a wet deck core from leaking stanchions, chain plates and deck partner. Ended up drilling lots of holes, taking out lots of punk end grain balsa and injecting a lot of epoxy and when done painted the deck with non-skid. The good news is it was easy work and the deck was nice and stiff when finished and never had a leak afterwards.

Jan 15, 2013
Shopping 32 Kralendijk
Well, I guess I have really done it now! The boat has some issues but all to be expected with a 30 year old boat. The engine has 40 hours after a complete overhaul, the fuel tank was replaced while the engine was out. The standing rigging will need to be replaced as it is original except for the back stay.

The boat is on Florida and I am taking her to Bonaire so the big first trip should be a doozy. I will replace the standing rigging, batteries, add solar panels and repair some canvas, along with new flares, extinguishers, etc., etc. before heading home.

Does anyone know the brand of the stock hatches in the 35? Thanks!

Gordon

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
On my 1984 they are bomar.
Sounds like you have a great plan. Hope you got a survey as he will catch things that you have missed. ...and you will catch things that he has missed.
Good to have a new fuel tank. I replaced the holding tank last year, do a search here, I posted some pics of it.
Good luck!

Oct 7, 2008
Sounds like you have a very reasonable plan to get started. Having motor overhauled and new fuel tank is a major hurdle. We've tried to do one or two major projects a year. We enjoy sailing/cruising more than the projects but we like the challenge of the projects also.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
My '87 O'day 35 had Lewmar hatches.

They looked like this when I bought the boat;

and

I had them reglazed by Select Plastics in CT. They were able to upgrade from the old-style hatch dogs to the new style, which lock more securely, and repair parts are available if needed.

Things that I would caution anyone looking at an O'day 34 / 35 to pay particular attention to;
The aluminum blocks that hold the chainplate "U" bolts in place. Make sure that both nuts are on the "U" bolts.
They look like this, and there are 4 of them (the toughest one to inspect is in the head locker - this is also the one that I had trouble with);

The original alternator mounting bracket WILL break the timing case cover when it snaps the pivot bolt off.

The new style, which is far sturdier, looks like this;

The engine pictured in both images above is on my boat and has a number of upgrades done to it in the second picture.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
An FYI regarding the stanchions. On our 83, there are aluminum plates laminated into the underside of the deck below the stanchions. They are not threaded, but I made new ones intending to install them as backing plates when I had my stanchions off last year. In the process of drilling oversize holes for epoxy potting I discovered there were already plates there! I also had all my stanchion bases straightened and 1/8" stainless plates welded onto the bottoms, slightly larger than the existing base to make them stronger as it appeared they had been distorted by people grabbing them at the dock.

Oct 7, 2008
It looks like you have the original pulley on the drive shaft. I had to change mine last year because it started to have play in it. I suspect it developed because of the oversized alternator that the PO installed--120Voltz. What size Alternator do you have?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Assuming that the question posed by @rajhnsn is directed at me; that is the original crankshaft pully. The alternator is a Neece-Nevill 90-amp alternator (8MR dumb-regulator) with a machined (not stamped) pully. I did not trust the stock 55 amp alternator, or the wiring, so I replaced it all in 2010.