Observations on sensor life

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I have a 2000 H340 with the full complement of factory installed monitors, sensors and instruments. Looking back over the past few years, I have noted that these instruments are aging and have begun to fail. This is solely based on my experience but there seems to be a trend nonetheless.
Three years ago I noted that the twelve year old diesel fuel level sender started to falter and finally failed so I replaced it. The following year the thirteen year old WEMA water tank level indicator failed and had to be replaced. That same year I had to replace my masthead Windex and the Raymarine masthead ST60 wind instrument both of which blew off during hurricane Sandy but I expect that after spinning away, summer and winter for those many years they would have been on my replacement schedule sooner or later. That same year I had to replace the circuit control board in my Cruise Air reverse cycle air conditioning unit. Last year, my fourteen year old paddlewheel speed transducer gave up and was replaced. I also had to replace my original VHF radio but gained many new features in the newer model. This year, my fifteen year old WEMA holding tank level sensor stopped responding. I have read the posts about how to remove and clean the device but truthfully, I thought that would be more trouble than it was worth and in light of its age and of the unavoidable yuck factor; I just bought a new sensor from the HOW site and easily installed it. Not unexpectedly, my Raymarine depth sounder is starting to give me occasional erratic reading when at anchor which were improved but not entirely eliminated by cleaning the contacts on the back of the display unit. Thus far, the oil pressure and water temperature sensors on my trusty Yanmar 3GM30F have held up. We all get old.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Wow, I would be pretty frustrated. Having said that, this year I did need to replace my tach sensor and temp gauge. My depth sounder is acting up. and my .........

I think I see what you mean.

Ken

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
John...I have the 2007 Hunter 33 which also seems to be famous for level sensors failing. My holding tank sensor failed and I was looking to replace it this summer. How difficult was the replacement process?
My hour meter has also failed and I will look at restoring it next month. One of the Hunter owners provided a detailed MOP on how to do this.
Has anyone with the Hunter 33 looked at bypassing the holding tank with a "Y" valve? Suspect I would require a larger diameter discharge hole if I bypass the macerator pump.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sheesh! Our 1991 model Hunter, with all original instruments, very boring. Everything still works, temperamental at times, but they do deliver the goods. Wind, speed, depth, autopilot, etc. Ditto our 1995 vintage Garmin 178C GPS. I suppose banging on them occasionally with a hammer would cause them to fail, in which case buying new would be my only recourse; ta da.

A couple years ago my manual fuel tank sensor decided to display an empty tank while still many miles away from home. Did not seem right, so I removed the gauge and inserted my trusty three foot long wooden dowel to see whether the gauge was telling me the truth. What!? I still have 35 gallons of fuel in our 70 gallon tank. I suppose I could replace the gauge, but it seems pretty accurate down to a half a tank, but then goes bonkers after that. What to do, what to do.

Ditto our holding tank that has no gauge. When I hear it go thump, I know it's full, but even before that I mentally calculate how many people we have on board by an estimate of flushes per day. From that I know about how much room is left. Same for the two potable water tank consumption. I draw from one tank until it is empty, then switch to the other. That tells me it is time to look for a fresh water source. Simple but effective.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
I live in Atlantic Canada so holding tank not an issue. I can empty it when ever I want which is immediately after every use as no scene carting the extra weight around. I guess I am just anal wrt having things I payed for work vs taking up space on a panel.
If I wanted to use a stick I would have chosen the bare bones package. If an easy fix I prefer to flip a switch vs sticking my head in the stern to look at the holding tank level.
Thanks for the advice though.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
John...I have the 2007 Hunter 33 which also seems to be famous for level sensors failing. My holding tank sensor failed and I was looking to replace it this summer. How difficult was the replacement process?
My hour meter has also failed and I will look at restoring it next month. One of the Hunter owners provided a detailed MOP on how to do this.
Has anyone with the Hunter 33 looked at bypassing the holding tank with a "Y" valve? Suspect I would require a larger diameter discharge hole if I bypass the macerator pump.
Caspur, do you have the snake river gauge set? If so a common problem is that the foil tape that is attached to the side of the poly tank come loose, so it will not measure. On our 41 several water tanks and the holding tank were all problematic. the solution was to re glue the foil to the side of the tank. I then filled the gap between the tank and the boat frame with some expanding foam so that the foil tape can not separate from side of the poly tank. All our tanks read correctly 7 years later. It is very likely that you will need to recalibrate after the repairs.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Thanks,
I will look at this in the next couple of weeks when I take the cover off.