Nova Scotia cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Cobb

If one wanted to cruise around Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, what is best time of the year to do that from a weather standpoint? Are tides and fog an especially big problem that far north?

B

Bryce

tides

Ken According to Eldridge, the tides around Nova Scotia proper are in the 4-5 foot ranges, However if you plan on going into the Bay of Fundy and up the St. John's river, the tidal ranges can be as much at 35 feet. (Average tidal range). I was in Eastport ME last summer and it has a tidal range of around 18 foot average. Currents will be a substantial factor with this type of tidal range. Eldridge indicates there is about 10 minutes of slack water when attempting the St. Johns River. I saw an article not to long ago that indicated the St. John river actually runs backwards as high tide approaches. As far as fog, I would speculate that its similiar to Maine, in that cold water and warm air = fog. In the NE our water temp max's around mid to late September which is the time of the least fog. Not sure about PEI, but because of the Gulf Stream, they claim to have the warmest water north of Virginia Beach, so you probably have the least problem with fog in this area, but getting there could be a pain. In 2 1/2 weeks along the coast of ME last summer I had 6 days of total pea soup once off shore. Bryce S/V Spellbinder H410

Status
Not open for further replies.