not so Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D

May 10, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis, MD
Sly Fox Lost Rudder

The Philadelphia Inquirer published an article today about the SlyFox lost rudder issue. For those of you interested in more information, click on the link. Personally, I take a lot of heat from fellow boaters on the Hunter rudder issue. Also, I am on my theoretical third rudder since 1998. And I might add, at MY COST! Not very thrilling to hear this news. Mike D

Mike D

May 10, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis, MD
Sly Fox Lost Rudder

The Philadelphia Inquirer published an article today about the SlyFox lost rudder issue. For those of you interested in more information, click on the link. Personally, I take a lot of heat from fellow boaters on the Hunter rudder issue. Also, I am on my theoretical third rudder since 1998. And I might add, at MY COST! Not very thrilling to hear this news. Mike D

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
In Defence of the Picture of the 46

There has been many a time when things were really nasty and I took a picture only to look at it later and be surprised at 'how calm' it looked! I don't know what the problem is but pictures of rough seas with white caps sometimes just don't seem to do justice. And with regard to being a "coastal cruiser", I would think, and hope, that a boat in the 40-foot range, especially the mid-40s, should be designed and expected to be a tad more and 'just a coastal cruiser'. Haven't looked at any of their brochures but that would be interesting.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
In Defence of the Picture of the 46

There has been many a time when things were really nasty and I took a picture only to look at it later and be surprised at 'how calm' it looked! I don't know what the problem is but pictures of rough seas with white caps sometimes just don't seem to do justice. And with regard to being a "coastal cruiser", I would think, and hope, that a boat in the 40-foot range, especially the mid-40s, should be designed and expected to be a tad more and 'just a coastal cruiser'. Haven't looked at any of their brochures but that would be interesting.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
I stand corrected

The photo is a 46, our local paper also reported that the boat was a 26, My error sorry!

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
I stand corrected

The photo is a 46, our local paper also reported that the boat was a 26, My error sorry!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Alternative steering.

This should serve to remind all of us to practice alternative methods of steering. We have a local racing sailor who teaches steering with the sails for example. Every offshore sailor should have practiced that. Then there are numerous ways to make a rudder. The plans for that should be readily available in the nav table(where I keep my emergency tiller). Even knowing this I think that I will open up the rudder on my 1979 H37C. Every time I take a pounding across Lake Erie I think about the construction of that 25 year old rudder. And it has always been painted black!

Status
Not open for further replies.