not so Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jung

I lost my H34 rudder

two years ago, broken in the middle under moderate sailing condition. Exam the broken rudder afterward, I will definitly say Foss Foam rudder on my boat had both design and munufacturing flaws. I still got new rudder from Foss Foam because I had to get the boat back into water asap. The new rudder dose have new design but only time will tell.

J

Jung

I lost my H34 rudder

two years ago, broken in the middle under moderate sailing condition. Exam the broken rudder afterward, I will definitly say Foss Foam rudder on my boat had both design and munufacturing flaws. I still got new rudder from Foss Foam because I had to get the boat back into water asap. The new rudder dose have new design but only time will tell.

Mar 26, 2004
Oday 25 Salisbury, MD
Rudder paint

Foss Foam reccomends that their rudders be painted white so when the boat is hauled the rudder will not heat up in the sun. (or cover the rudder in white plastic when on the hard) Foss Foam warrenty does not include dammage by heat. Though this notation was in my 92 Hunter manual and is on their web site, I have yet to see a Hunter with a white painted rudder. Mine isn't either. Wonder if this has something to do with the rudder failure? Buddy Richardson s/v Cowardly Lion H28

Mar 26, 2004
Oday 25 Salisbury, MD
Rudder paint

Foss Foam reccomends that their rudders be painted white so when the boat is hauled the rudder will not heat up in the sun. (or cover the rudder in white plastic when on the hard) Foss Foam warrenty does not include dammage by heat. Though this notation was in my 92 Hunter manual and is on their web site, I have yet to see a Hunter with a white painted rudder. Mine isn't either. Wonder if this has something to do with the rudder failure? Buddy Richardson s/v Cowardly Lion H28

D

Don

White rudder

Well, there is at least one Hunter with a white rudder. Not sure how important it is but it's the only thing on the boat that is white so why not... Don Illusion H 40.5

D

Don

White rudder

Well, there is at least one Hunter with a white rudder. Not sure how important it is but it's the only thing on the boat that is white so why not... Don Illusion H 40.5

J

JEff D

Rudder design

At least it looks like the 28.5 has a little better deign than the 34. Link to archives.

J

JEff D

Rudder design

At least it looks like the 28.5 has a little better deign than the 34. Link to archives.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
FWIW

The 450 and 460 series have composite shaft construction. In fact, all the current boats 30' plus are of that construction. Also, Mike Harker's 460 hit an abandoned drift net. RD

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
FWIW

The 450 and 460 series have composite shaft construction. In fact, all the current boats 30' plus are of that construction. Also, Mike Harker's 460 hit an abandoned drift net. RD

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
More FWIW, Rick.

No rudder could live, built that way, but mines lives. It's 18 years old and has gone the distance. A thought! Maybe Foss or Hunter or a consortium of owners should pay (me) to tear open mine and see why it's still going. Of course, it might die tomorrow. How do we know?

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
More FWIW, Rick.

No rudder could live, built that way, but mines lives. It's 18 years old and has gone the distance. A thought! Maybe Foss or Hunter or a consortium of owners should pay (me) to tear open mine and see why it's still going. Of course, it might die tomorrow. How do we know?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
Tom of Annapolis

is correct, this almost tragety has nothing to do with the rudder, it has to do with choices made by the captain. He took a boat out to sea on a voyage that the boat was not designed to take. A Hunter 26 is not a boat to go to sea, it was designed for lakes and coastal cruising.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
Tom of Annapolis

is correct, this almost tragety has nothing to do with the rudder, it has to do with choices made by the captain. He took a boat out to sea on a voyage that the boat was not designed to take. A Hunter 26 is not a boat to go to sea, it was designed for lakes and coastal cruising.

J

Jung

Barry, that's exactly same failure

happened to my H34 rudder. I lost the bottom piece to the sea so I have to order a new one from Foss Foam. As I mentioned, the rudder has'd both design and manufacturing flaws as clearly showing from your pictures. Foss Foam or Hunter or both of them had cut the corner way too far.

J

Jung

Barry, that's exactly same failure

happened to my H34 rudder. I lost the bottom piece to the sea so I have to order a new one from Foss Foam. As I mentioned, the rudder has'd both design and manufacturing flaws as clearly showing from your pictures. Foss Foam or Hunter or both of them had cut the corner way too far.

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
jkksail, take a look at the boat in the photo..

that is not a 26 but a 46. abe

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
jkksail, take a look at the boat in the photo..

that is not a 26 but a 46. abe

Status
Not open for further replies.