Newbie with a question.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Wow scoker - looks great! Whether or not it's for nautical use shouldn't really matter inside the cabin.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
Macgregor 25 41 valle de bravo
Went sailing on the lake on the holidays, this is only my second trip sailing and my first time saling by myself, I found out that it heels (or it feels so) a lot on fairly light wind, about 10 kph, with main and gib, it rounds up, question is how it will handle when taken out to the sea on more moderate winds and tides, and the other question that arises is what is the probabilty of capsizing if I dont let her round up and dont ease the sails? speed was about 6 knots, my mentor suggested that I only used the mainsail for now since I was learning what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your support, and may you have the best of years.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Had the wood redone with red cedar wich is common in the area, I have read it is not recomended for nautical use but... I think it looks nice.
Nonsense. what you did looks great and will hold up for many many years. besides the great looks I also love the lower price, availability, and ease of working with it.
No teak was harmed in the building of any of these pieces. if you see natural wood below (except for the old piece of teak on the cabin top ;) )... it's red cedar.
P1050784.jpg P1050439.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Went sailing on the lake on the holidays, this is only my second trip sailing and my first time saling by myself, I found out that it heels (or it feels so) a lot on fairly light wind, about 10 kph, with main and gib, it rounds up, question is how it will handle when taken out to the sea on more moderate winds and tides, and the other question that arises is what is the probabilty of capsizing if I dont let her round up and dont ease the sails? speed was about 6 knots, my mentor suggested that I only used the mainsail for now since I was learning what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your support, and may you have the best of years.
Do you know what the actual angle of heel was? when first learning, a small amount can feel like a LOT ;) . At a steady 10 kt of wind I'd be heeled over about 8-10* at most. as the wind increases, so does the heel of course, but past 15* or so it really firms up and seldom goes beyond 18-20 even in very strong winds. it's a very safe craft that I don't worry about safety in in the least. the M25 doesn't sail well on main alone. if it gets spirited, put a reef in the main sail and learn to ease the main sheet when a big gust hits. give it some time... you'll feel right at home on her in no time at all. :)
BTW. are you sure you had the keel all the way down? mine takes 31 turns to fully raise or lower.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland

Seems like some darn light winds to be rounding up in - I wonder whats up with that?

My V224 didn't want to round up unless the winds are well over 25 mph on a beat
and that was with the rail in the water and blown out sails.

Now that I have new sails the winds have to be well over 30 mph on a beat to even think about a round up.

I never worry about a capsize from wind - it would take waves of like 11 feet or better for me to worry about that...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Seems like some darn light winds to be rounding up in - I wonder whats up with that?

My V224 didn't want to round up unless the winds are well over 25 mph on a beat
and that was with the rail in the water and blown out sails.

Now that I have new sails the winds have to be well over 30 mph on a beat to even think about a round up.

I never worry about a capsize from wind - it would take waves of like 11 feet or better for me to worry about that...
Which led me to ask about the keel being all the way down. ;) I'm betting not.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
Do you know what the actual angle of heel was? when first learning, a small amount can feel like a LOT ;) . At a steady 10 kt of wind I'd be heeled over about 8-10* at most. as the wind increases, so does the heel of course, but past 15* or so it really firms up and seldom goes beyond 18-20 even in very strong winds. it's a very safe craft that I don't worry about safety in in the least. the M25 doesn't sail well on main alone. if it gets spirited, put a reef in the main sail and learn to ease the main sheet when a big gust hits. give it some time... you'll feel right at home on her in no time at all. :)
BTW. are you sure you had the keel all the way down? mine takes 31 turns to fully raise or lower.
Not quite, was trying to find out but could not take a read of actual heel, guess it was my lack of expertise that it felt like a LOT, lol, I just did not like the feeling of fighting the tiller when she was trying to go into the wind, boat was already in the water when I arrived and I was told the keel was already down so I did not get to check if it was all the way down, I didnt worry at all since I read in another post that it was safe to sail on half way keel, but I guess I will be more careful next time. Thanks for your advice, I ll put it to work next time around.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
10k winds would be grounds for saying that it would be -hard- to get the boat much more than slightly off upright.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Not quite, was trying to find out but could not take a read of actual heel, guess it was my lack of expertise that it felt like a LOT, lol, I just did not like the feeling of fighting the tiller when she was trying to go into the wind, boat was already in the water when I arrived and I was told the keel was already down so I did not get to check if it was all the way down, I didnt worry at all since I read in another post that it was safe to sail on half way keel, but I guess I will be more careful next time. Thanks for your advice, I ll put it to work next time around.
Google lev-o-gage. cheep and a very useful thing to have on your boat, especially when first getting comfortable with sailing.
Ya, I'm betting the keel wasn't down all the way, if at all. no reason you should be fighting the tiller and heeling, with light wind like that. were you also having any trouble going to windward in a reasonable fashion? bet you were ;) .
Also, next time you're on the boat, make a note of how far from the mast, for and aft, the halyards hang. if more than a couple inches away at waist high, your mast may not be pointed skyward properly, requiring some simple shroud adjustments.
It's a process of learning ;)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Might also check that the tiller is all the way down. It is also very hard to tack with just the main sail.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Might also check that the tiller is all the way down. It is also very hard to tack with just the main sail.
True point! if the ruder isn't secured in the full down position, it can come up a bit and allow the tiller to really fight you.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Red cedar is rot resistant, not as much as white cedar but better than most woods. It's very pretty, it's much lighter than other traditional interior woods. One issue is stability. Cedar tends to shrink and swell more than hard woods. Seal it well.
20170913_145349.jpg I made Spanish Red cedar hatch boards because most of my other choices were darker woods and offered less contrest for my woodburning.
As long as it is maintained and not submerged, it will be fine.

- Will (Dragonfly)

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
Beautiful work Will, thanks all of you for the advice, just ordered the lev o gauge from amazon and will double check keel next time around.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
I always lower the keel fully and lock it is place with the lock bolt. I lake on Lake Champlain which is pretty deep most everywhere I sail. With the keel locked down I can heel the boat to 45 degrees and the boat is stable but you will start to round up when the rudder comes out of the water.