New use for mast crutch

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The receiving antenna wher attached will be in the way when mast is resting on the pole.

Kermit, did you mean high frogging pole?

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
Nice, I am thinking of putting solar on the original pole but I fear that the pole holder and base on a hunter 26 isn't secure enough to keep a lot of weight on it under sailing load.

Anyone put a lot of weight on a 26,24, 23.5 with the older style where the bottom of the pole rests directly on the fiberglass transom?

Any reinforcing needed?

Thanks

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Very nicely re-porpoised. I want for solar too, but worry about that lip. Did you reinforce? Maybe tie on a floatie so the diver can find it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Very nicely re-porpoised. I want for solar too, but worry about that lip. Did you reinforce? Maybe tie on a floatie so the diver can find it.
I’m not sure I understand. Lip? Reinforce what?

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
@rgranger
At least on the Hunter 26 like mine, what holds the Mast Crutch in place, a cup on the transom at the bottom and a single metal bracket part way up, don't seem like they would take kindly to a lot of lateral forces from a lot of stuff being mounted to the mast crutch.

Here is a web image i found that shows the crutch support. notice the bracket on this poor boat has come loose

https://whitebearboatworks.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/img_5648.jpg

I would be more worried about my below the water line transom and that built in inverted cup at the bottom cracking over time from the loads when there are heavy wind gusts.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
@rgranger
.....don't seem like they would take kindly to a lot of lateral forces from a lot of stuff being mounted to the mast crutch.
Seriously? A little wind on a VHF antennae? It is a MAST crutch designed to carry a MAST while bouncing down the highway at 60 mph.

I'm not worried.

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
I was more worried about a solar panel since it would catch wind gusts and be heavier. thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
I was more worried about a solar panel since it would catch wind gusts and be heavier. thanks!
Got you

Well mine is only 1' X 1' and is enough to keep the batteries topped off. I also have a generator on my Honda 9.9 so between the two, I don't have any issues. I also don't have a lot of electronics and don't need more than that. It also hangs mostly horizontal so I don't think it catches much wind.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I have my VHF antenna mounted at the same spot on the mast crutch, though not as fancy :) I never remove it, and it doesn't get in the way when I step the mast. I just direct the mast to the side of it.

20160814_140114.jpg

Also notice I have an 80 watt solar panel. That I remove when trailering. The weight is not an issue. I concur with Rob, the crutch is designed to hold the weight of the mast going down the road.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
What model panel and mount is that? is it in the way boarding from ladder?

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I’m not sure I understand. Lip? Reinforce what?
Oh, sorry man. The crutch sits on what appears to be a piece of exposed hull, a "lip", and is pinned to a u-shaped bracket on the transom. @JimSails stated his concerns about the strength of those connections under sail. It seemed like a valid question. @Crazy Dave Condon reminds us from time to time how "tender" these water ballast boats can be, so I was suggesting that, should the worst happen, a bright "floaty" might help you, or a diver, find it under water. But I'm sure you're right, the crutch support was designed to hold 1/2 the weight of the mast, while bouncing up and down over potholes and flying around curves on a trailer, for hundreds of miles, every season, for what, 20 years now?
[Edit] The 23.5 and 26 have just a protruding bit of lower hull ("lip") for supporting the mast crutch. The 240 and 260 appear to have an engineered deck for the thing to sit on. Not fair! I'm sticking my IoT 900MHz ISM band telemetry/security dipole antenna at the top of the mast, with my new beer can whirly gig.

Last edited: