New to this forum

May 15, 2019
Hunter 260 Caryle lake
Hi, I am looking at buying a 1999 Hunter 260. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for? I have owned several small boats, Capri 14.2, sunfish, y flyer, but would like to purchase a larger boat and keep it at Caryle lake in Il.
I have sailed a Colgate 26 many times.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Welcome! Are you looking for a water ballasted trailer-sailor? I ask because you say you want to keep it at the lake.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have exactly what you’re looking at buying. It’s a great boat. Absolutely insist on the seller installing a new centerboard line. If he won’t do that, have it changed as soon as possible. They’re much easier to change before they break. The most important advice is to enjoy your boat!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Does anyone have any advice on what to look for?
It would help us here if we knew how you wanted your boat equipped. A few suggestions:
1. Day sailing only?
2. Weekender or longer?
3. Year around or just when it's warm?
4. Trailerable?
5. Etc.?

If you want just a basic boat to sail once in awhile, having the hull and deck inspected by a certified marine surveyor should take care of anything that might be of concern.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Stlsailor,

You have started on the right foot by joining us here. I know you will get so much more than you asked for on this forum. These guys are the best and eager to share their wisdom.

As Terry suggests, let us know a little more about the kind of sailing you plan to do.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While a Hunter 260 has its own set of virtues, you could not pick a boat more different that a Colgate 26.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Look for the condition of the essential expensive items, Hull, engine, sails, standing rigging and ballast tank.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello @Stlsailor.

As @Benny17441 said, the expensive stuff to replace are outboard, sails etc. AND if you plan on trailering this boat. Take a hard look at the trailer. Do the breaks still work? Are the lights working? Are the tires in good condition? etc.