New to sailing and just got my first boat

Mar 10, 2017
Endeavour 32 Clearwater
Everyone else has advicertainly and I need as much help as I can. Engine is blown gonna pull it and put on an outboard motor. This will increase storage room inside as she will be used for cruising and live aboard. Want to add solar panels and wind power. What would you all do first and also I wanna clean inside extra well and water tanks are gross. Any help greatly appreciated. 20170301_103844.jpeg 20170309_135416.jpg 20170309_113542.jpg

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Not 100% sure but, what size outboard were you thinking and where would you mount it? First thing I would do after cleaning it up is look in to new sails as well, it is a sailboat not a motorhome. How are the lines, standing rigging..... Sailing lessons..... how are the electrical and plumbing....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Get Peggy's book to guide you thru making the water/waste systems acceptable. I would discourage discarding the engine and get it rebuilt.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Congrats MiMi - I hope you reconsider putting an outboard on that thing -- Doing so will ruin any resale - most people want the inboards for lots of reason
  • Charge your house batteries - the wimpy alternators in the OB would never be able to handle 200-400 Ahrs of battery capacity that you WILL want when you start cruising
  • Balance - hanging that much weight off the stern can effect the balance of the boat
  • cost associate with removing not only the engine - but shaft, prop, struts.... how are you planning on filling the hole the shaft leaves??
  • Starting - OB tend to be a lot more fickle about starting than inboards
  • Hanging over the stern to work/start/shift.... the OB is just dangerous in stormy weather.
  • I've had the OB (on a boat designed for them) die three times in a narrow channel bad weather because waves came over the stern (they don't work well when under water) - and then they are hard to start.
Yes repowering a boat can be expensive - a lot of times you can pick up a refreshed engine for a more reasonable price. Take some classes, both classroom and on the water -

It is a great hobby/lifestyle.

Les

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'd think real hard about the outboard vs inboard question. That is a big heavy 32 foot boat, and the transom design would make a outboard VERY problematic. An inboard diesel gives reliable propulsion, much greater range, and generates electricity and hot water.

Cost more now but you will thank yourself for that decision every day you own the boat; a bargain.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Perhaps you've thought it through with regard to cruising with an outboard, but that sounds like a red flag. If you are going to hang out in Clearwater for at least a year while you fix up that boat, perhaps you can get by with it (an outboard) while you spend money on other priorities. cb is right, mounting the outboard will be no small problem. A few cruisers have been known to be "out there" even without any engine, so I don't suppose it is a prerequisite, but you would be unusual, to say the least, without a reliable diesel inboard.
With regard to water tanks, what do you have ... plastic, aluminum, or stainless steel? If you have aluminum, I wouldn't bother cleaning it. It would need to be replaced, assuming that you would use it for drinking water. In my case (an old aluminum tank contaminated by corrosion was unacceptable), I could not find any prefabricated plastic tanks that fit the space and had an acceptable volume. I found that custom made plastic tanks are prohibitively expensive unless a mold was readily available, so I had a stainless steel tank made to a custom size by a local fabricator for a reasonable price. If you are really budget minded (cost constrained), you can find ways to make do with what you have or find resources for used stuff that is satisfactory. Having new things made is more often expensive, but sometimes paying for work done professionally is more expedient and worthwhile. Those are the judgements that you get to make all on your own as a new sailboat owner! :biggrin:
Have fun and I hope for your success!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Congrats on the new boat! I haven't been on a 32 but I sailed on an Endeavour 38 and it felt very solid but sailed well. I'm going to jump in on the outboard idea as well. Another thing to consider is trying to motor in any kind of waves. If you get over a few feet of waves and a head wind, the prop will lift out of the water over each peak and you will go nowhere. The prop on an inboard is much deeper in the water and farther foreward so doesn't lift the way an outboard would.
If the water tanks are gross but otherwise intact, you could try shocking them. There's lots of information on the web about this, here's just one example https://public.health.oregon.gov/He...Water/Operations/Pages/shockchlorination.aspx

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
What engine is in it now? It may be repairable.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
An outboard in the size to power that boat may actually cost more than a refurbished diesel. I think I would want a 50 - 70 hp 4 stroke outboard for that boat. That will not be cheap!
Besides, the outboard is going to be much less convenient in the many ways mentioned.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, here's the thing. Boats of that vintage were built on the traditional view of "auxiliary" engine power acting as an assist to the sailboat's use of its primary propulsion, the sails. Where does this assist come in? Basically, in getting the boat in and out of the slip, and moving the boat along at hull speed, or near it, in windless conditions. NOT to use the engine for long distance travel otherwise; or to use it to power against prevailing sea conditions. Yes, of course, inboard diesels are more reliable as auxiliaries than any gasoline outboards will ever prove to be. A newbie sailor in this first boat--humm; can she sail the boat? A modestly horse-powered outboard might be OK to move the boat out of the marina to get to sailing. A sailboat should not need much auxiliary power if it can be sailed. BUT--the reality is--she will want the engine to do what we all want them to do---and an outboard is not going to work out well for doing it. My advice--get the diesel rebuilt, or go find one that has been. However, that does not have to be the first thing on the agenda.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pirate Mimi, congratulations on your new favorite hobby and welcome to the forum.
Suggestions are offered not really advice. It is your boat and the beauty of being the owner you decide what she will be ,how she will look, and how she will carry you to where you decide to lead her.
From experience sailing small and now a large boat, the idea of an outboard to drive your boat will likely be unsatisfactory. Issues, as stated, are secure attachment to boat, fuel (gasoline can be explosive problem and less powerful than diesel), and the problems of starting etc..
On a new to you boat getting to know her is reasonable. Cleaning all the spaces in the boat from center line to the hull sides will tell you volumes. This is a tradition of all captains. US Navy captains call it a "ships tour", and they crawl and explore every space and void of their ship. Your boat is going to be your home (live aboard) and life raft. Since you are trusting your life to her get to know her before you consider changing her.
Then draw up a plan listing everything you discovered. Prioritize the plan. For me infrastructure (sound hull, propulsion, plumbing, and electrical) are always the priority. You will soon start to think about your boat as a city for 1. You get to produce all the services.
Well one could write a book... and they have... Welcome and enjoy your experiences. They will be fun.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well Mimi, you've got yourself a project. Congratulations and you'll find a lot of good resources here to help you along the way. The bones of an Endeavor are usually pretty good, these boats were built before anyone realized how strong fiberglass was, so they tend to be a bit overbuilt, but that's a good thing.

About this outboard engine idea. You're not the first nor the last to consider installing an outboard on a larger boat, as other have noted, this generally doesn't pan out. By the time you have read this, you have already read a number of good reasons to stay with an inboard, except perhaps the most important one, it just won't work.

In order for any engine to work, the prop has to have clean water with out turbulence flowing by it. This just can't be achieved with an outboard on the back of a large boat, they don't make shafts long enough and if you mount the motor low enough to get a good bite into the water, it will be flooded in a following sea. That will ruin the outboard. The alternative is to mount the OB higher, but then the prop will not be deep enough and in any kind of a chop the prop will lift out of the water, over rev, and than stop suddenly when it hits the water again. That's bad for the motor.

So, look at getting the motor rebuilt or pick up a used motor.

For sails and other hardware look to the consignment shops. There are often good deals on used sails, winches, and hardware. And of course there is eBay.

If you are needing inspiration, and there will be days you will need it, take at look at this YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYfFeySHGN4DPrOc9So7PA. Start at the beginning. Nike, a German woman in her mid 30s, bought a project boat in Panama. Well worth watching and her adventures.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nike, a German woman in her mid 30s, bought a project boat in Panama. Well worth watching and her adventures.
:plus: on the YouTube videolog. "Untie The Lines" she shares all her experiences and emotions.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Diesels hardly ever die, they get abused but in boats they just don't see the hours that render them dead. Unless the previous owner (PO) sank the boat and the engine is a total loss it can be restored. A great first project and will make you familiar with diesel mechanics which is always a handy skill to have.
Why do you think you need a new engine

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Lot's of good advice here already. Stick with the plan of clean, clean, clean: crawl every nook and cranny, crawl through the bilge, check every hose, hose clamp, through hull fitting, tank, system, etc. Make a list then prioritize it from items which are dangerous to the niceties. Deal with them on a priority basis of safety first.
You said the engine is toast but what does that really mean? The boat I bought in September the PO considered the engine toast, $7.99 worth of JB weld a head gasket and some basic maintenance and the engine will be serviceable for quite a while. A seized piston is a different matter though.
This site is a great resource, do searches and read through old posts there is a treasure trove of information to be gleaned here. Welcome to a hobby and way of life which will teach you more than you ever wanted to know.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Pirate Mimi, congratulations on your new favorite hobby and welcome to the forum.
:plus:

One main reason there are NOT many outboards retrofitted is Safety.

If you need power in heavy seas to maintain a safe course, your boat will nose down coming over a wave.

Nose down, Stern goes up, propeller goes out of water...

Loss of power and control!!!:yikes:

Most inboard props are between the keel and rudder. They stay in water when wave bobbing.
Jim...

PS: The adventure begins.....:)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome, MiMi.. a fine boat ya have there.. I agree with not having an outboard on a boat that size.. not practical..
if I recall correctly, that boat came with a Yanmar 2QM.. common and reliable as nails.. parts aren't cheap but ya don't have to buy them a lot! Around St. Pete/Clearwater, there should be some good used or rebuilts for about the price of an outboard engine and its associated systems..
Also.. Beta makes a really nice engine/transmission at a good price.. they are not too far from ya.. They used to publish prices, but I don't see that page any more..
Again, Welcome !

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Endeavor 32. Neglected now, but looks like it will clean up nicely. I'd like to see the "after" pictures when the time comes, and a proud owner.

Outboards are great on smaller sailboats for many reasons.
Not this boat.
It might be more cost and heartache trying to install and use it than it would be to repair the inboard.
I've seen many motors that were thought to be "blown" that only needed a mechanic's love and expertise. Maybe you've done so already, but at least pay for a diagnosis.
Best of success.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
LOL... the OP posted this question on first visit and has never come back.

I'm always leery of making a big reply to someone with ONE post. For this reason.

Many boards make a new user respond to several posts before being able to create a post, for this exact reason.