New to me O'day25, need help getting her right for sailing.

Dec 26, 2017
O'day 25 Hales Bar Marina
First off I have bought a beautiful O'day25CB and I love her. I am new (as in never have) to sailing. I am looking to fit her with the gear I need to make her sail worthy.
This is what I know I have
Mainsail, jib sail, lines to raise both, two winches mounted near the cockpit.
Mast has no winch
Boom has all rigging with a traveler in cockpit
I have two pullies on sliders one on each side of the cockpit
Two more pullies located midway between the cockpit and mast on the deck
Two more pullies near the mast along the handrail
I am sure there is more I need but as I do not know exactly what is missing I can not buy said items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to have her sailing this spring.
Also just a fun fact, I live on my sailboat full time and I love it!
Thanks for your time.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Anything specific?
No. Just general shots of your deck and all these pullies you've mentioned.

Suspect you'll need to figure the rational way these pullies will bring certain controls back to the cockpit.

I have two pullies on sliders one on each side of the cockpit
These are probably for your jib/genoa sheets.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
That was quick. :)
image.png
This one could use more context. A wider field of view, please.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to the Oday 25 family. A fun boat. And welcome to the forum.

Here is a start.
Mainsail, jib sail, lines to raise both. - These lines are called halyards. You have a jib halyard and a main halyard.
two winches mounted near the cockpit. - These are your jib winches. You should have two lines attached to one corner of the jib, the clew, which will go outside the stays (side wires that hold up the mast) to the single pullies (called blocks) then to the jib winches.
Mast has no winch. - A winch on the mast is to assist in raising the main halyard. Not needed on a 25. Some have them but not really needed.
Boom has all rigging with a traveler in cockpit - Start off sailing with the traveler in the center position. Learn how to use it as you gain more sailing experience.
I have two pullies on sliders one on each side of the cockpit. - They are for a very large jib sail. If the clew of the jib comes past the side stays more than a foot or so, you can run the jib sheets to these blocks, then to the jib winches.
Two more pullies located midway between the cockpit and mast on the deck. - These are probably used to run lines back to the cockpit. Most likely main halyard, maybe jib halyard. There might be cleats of some type on the cabin top that will hold the lines after you raise the sails.
Two more pullies near the mast along the handrail. - If you have a furling jib (allows you to roll the jib up when not sailing vs taking it off the forestay) the furling lines will run back to the cockpit through those blocks.

It sounds like you have what you need to rig and sail your boat. I'd try to get the boat rigged and on a day of light winds, try sailing. Do you have anyone who can take you out the first few times? Is there somewhere you can get some lessons? Would probably be worth it if you never sailed before.

Happy New Year

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hello DRA!
I hope you are enjoying the liveaboard experience!
First off ... it will be helpful for you to do some reading to understand the terminology. Pulleys on a sailboat are called BLOCKS. The sliders that you reference are called TRACKS. Follow thru on learning all of the rest of the terminology and it becomes easier to communicate. Also, purchase Don Guillette's sail trim guide and charts in this store for a very quick, understandable education in sail trim. It is invaluable when you are learning.

The blocks that you have on the track along the toe rail are also called fairleads for your jib or genoa sheets (lines or <rope> that are attached to the clew of your headsail). The button on the fairlead is a pin-stop that is used to adjust the fairlead position, which is something that you should learn about. I'm a little confused by the configuration because it appears that the winch (with blue cover?) and cleat seem to be in a weird configuration relative to one another - I'm sure it is just because I can't see the entire assembly relative to the boat. The sheet from the headsail clew passes directly thru the fairlead on the track and then typically back to the winch with a cleat behind that to secure the tail end of the sheet.

The block that is deck mounted appears to be an add-on feature, perhaps installed by the previous owner. They will trip you if you don't watch out. This appears to be a deck-mounted fairlead for your headsail, that you would use instead of the fairlead on the track. I'm assuming this block is further forward than the track-mounted fairlead, so it is intended to be used with a smaller headsail (non-overlapping), and it will draw your clew further inboard for tighter pointing (tacking) angles. Fixed-mounted fairleads are not the best because the position gives you very limited control of your sail shape when you are sailing. Basically, you can't adjust the sail shape for optimal performance if you can't move the position of that fairlead. But they are not uncommon on small sailboats with simple systems.

I would check below deck to make sure these are mounted with a backing plate to be properly secured. Any screw or bolt penetration through a deck is a potential source of water that can deteriorate the core of your deck. The earlier you start to pay attention to these fasteners, the better off you will be.

You also have a pair of blocks that are mounted to the coach roof at the handrails. These also may be an add-on. The purpose isn't clear. They may be used for even tighter pointing angles with a small non-overlapping headsail. They may also be used to bring lines back to the cockpit from the mast (if you don't have deck organizers).

Nobody says that you have to rig your sailboat exactly in accordance with the plan that is provided when the boat is first constructed. It is very common for people to add blocks, deck fittings, winches and cleats to set up the rigging as they prefer. First you have to learn how to sail your boat, then you will start to consider modifications.

Your traveler track appears to have a simple car that is set on the track with pin stops that are used to adjust the position. Your mainsheet block and tackle assembly should be fixed to the traveler car when you set it up.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Welcome to the Oday 25 family. A fun boat. And welcome to the forum. Welcome.

Two more pullies located midway between the cockpit and mast on the deck. - These are probably used to run lines back to the cockpit. Most likely main halyard, maybe jib halyard.
An alternative answer, jib sheet leads for smaller jib if there is one on each side.

Two more pullies near the mast along the handrail. - If you have a furling jib (allows you to roll the jib up when not sailing vs taking it off the forestay) the furling lines will run back to the cockpit through those blocks.
Maybe these are the turning blocks for halyards to the cockpit.

It sounds like you have what you need to rig and sail your boat. I'd try to get the boat rigged and on a day of light winds, try sailing. Do you have anyone who can take you out the first few times? Is there somewhere you can get some lessons? Would probably be worth it if you never sailed before.
Ward is spot on here, as always. You might also entertain yourself with a learn to sail book or online sailing course.

Happy New Year
Happy New Year to you all. Now I'm going sailing.

Dec 26, 2017
O'day 25 Hales Bar Marina
Thank you to everyone who has posted. I will take all the info given and put it to use. It seems I have all the rigging I need. Now all I need is a good coach to come show me the basics. If anyone is in the Tennessee river area, I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you again everyone.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm down in Lake Guntersville AL but won't be going out for awhile till a bit warmer weather! I'm also new and have enjoyed my old O'day 25 a bunch this year.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Your lines to hoist the mainsail and jib are "halyards"; one for each--thus, a main halyard and a jib halyard. A jib is headsail that does not extend much abaft the mast when sheeted in tight. If it does, then it is a genoa. So, the most general term is headsail which are of the various types: No. 1 (155% overlap genoa); No. 2 (120% genoa); No. 3 (jib or working headsail); No. 4 Storm jib, or nearly so.
Your pullies are "blocks."
Your sliders are "cars."

Might as well start learning the jargon.;)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Your lines to hoist the mainsail and jib are "halyards."
Your pullies are "blocks."
Your sliders are "cars."

Might as well start learning the jargon.;)
I'm not sure it makes any difference anymore with all of those bumpers hanging off the sides of the boats. ;)
DRAo'day25 don't despair the terms will come. Here is an over the top list of terms, with some even the old salts on here won't know.
http://www.photographers1.com/Sailing/NauticalTerms&Nomenclature.html#L

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Going on, bumpers are "fenders", unless the boat is sailing in Santa Monica Bay where they are known as Del Rey racing stripes :laugh: if hanging from the rails. They're fenders because they "fend off" the boat from the dock or other boats. Land Lubbers call them bumpers likely because they bump hard against the dock whenever those folks get near one.:doh:

From the above-referenced list:
Land Lubber - A person unfamiliar with the ways of the sea

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I like the racing stripe definition LOL (I need to have an alarm go off tellling me they are out.. out of sight, out of mind).

Sanal - term for sailors who get upset about the correct use of esoteric sailing terms.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Coed sailing crew with a new to sailing fellow on the boat. Captain "Get on that port winch Sebastian". Sebastian " But all of the wenches are on the right side of the boat". :laugh: Keeping it fun, Gambit started it.