New to me 1980 venture of Newport 23

Jul 2, 2018
McGregor Venture of Newport 23 Tx gulf
Just aquired a bit of a project boat
Surprisingly seems mostly intact for the little I paid. But For being 38 years old, it's not perfect.
I joined this fourm to hopefully find some information. I haven't found a coast guard capacity plate. And currently its equipped with a 1984 5hp 2stroke Suzuki outboard. I presume that is within specs.

It appears to have a self bailing cockpit was this a factory thing. I'll probably reseal the through hull fittings, and change the hose if I can squeeze in there.

I found foam floatation blocks not sure if the factory packed them in specific places or just tossed them in random places. I'm actually curious if I have them all after all these years.

As for making it knock down ready looks like the cock pit battery hatch can be sealed shut from the inside cleat. But what keeps the poptop from possibly opening mine doesn't appear to latch closed

I'm thinking about adding a automatic Bilge pump. I'm not sure
Where I should place it. To drain excess water that may appear. I have not dropped it in the water yet to find a low point. I'm assuming near the mast foot should be the lowest area.

Maybe there's a few extra things I should look at like the swing keel setup, do those pins need replacing. Or are they good for nearly ever. Maybe it's a good time for me to add some lighting protection too

As for battery I've had two sailboats with battery setups that seem to rely on the holy spirit holding them in place. I don't get a good feeling seeing the battery power cables holding the battery in place. Any suggestions.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
But what keeps the poptop from possibly opening mine doesn't appear to latch closed
You could install some keepers.
It appears to have a self bailing cockpit was this a factory thing.
Yes.

I'm thinking about adding a automatic Bilge pump. I'm not sure
Where I should place it. To drain excess water that may appear. I have not dropped it in the water yet to find a low point. I'm assuming near the mast foot should be the lowest area.
Likely under the keel winch.

Maybe there's a few extra things I should look at like the swing keel setup, do those pins need replacing. Or are they good for nearly ever. Maybe it's a good time for me to add some lighting protection too
Yes, those bolts need periodic inspection. Lightning protection is a crapshoot at best.

As for battery I've had two sailboats with battery setups that seem to rely on the holy spirit holding them in place. I don't get a good feeling seeing the battery power cables holding the battery in place.
Figure some way of strapping the battery in place. Maybe even a battery box.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Welcome and I think those are the ....

.... coolest looking boat that MacGregor designed. The one above belongs to Heinzir the last I knew.

HEINZIR use to post here and on other Mac boards and had his knocked down and it went to the bottom of a lake in, I think Minnesota. They were able to later raise it and continue sailing it. I'm not sure, but think the problem occurred when the keel wasn't locked down and it went up in the trunk when the boat was knocked down by a big wind gust. I think this is their site but can't find the story....

https://plus.google.com/photos/101215806559438798863/albums/5129567220950359313?banner=pwa

Enjoy the boat and take pictures of it for us,

Sumner
============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018
Thanks, I'm glad I joined this fourm.

Yes a major flaw in swing keels is your damned if you do or don't lock the swing keel. But in the event of a knockdown that keel swinging can do major damage compared to a bent pin Does the 23 even have a swing keel lock pin. Maybe if I knock down mine the black widows will let me check :). So far I've noticed, besides the keel plowing into the trunk that if the hatches are left open the unsecured foam can float out. Im a bit short on photos at the moment. In her current condition she won't win a beauty contest. I still have a bit of examination to do. Interior looks like I'll need to fix a few things Its tough getting in and out with the mast laying down, and Previous owner, still has some things I need to clean/trash out. Maybe I'll find some electronics. I have accessories mounted for a 2004 era GPS/Fisher finder. Haven't found the unit yet, not sure I will. Not sure I want too after looking at the newer units with chirp Like the raymarine dragon fly series. I'll need to shoot some photos. Looks like factory sails, no tears not much wear.

Attachments

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
Pretty boat! Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Definitely keep us informed of how the refit goes. As Sumner says, enjoy it!

-Peter

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
May I suggest you mark all the mast stays and remove the mast until all the hard work is done. I see a trailer in the background and that would be a good place to store it, either above or below to keep it out of harms way. Stuff something in the open ends to keep critters out.
A support under the the back or the trailer or the boat will keep the bow from pointing skyward should you move to far aft.

Jul 2, 2018
I'm excited, I definitely will be doing some rework on a ton of stuff. Leveling blocks sound like a good idea. I may add some forward wieght on the trailer. Not sure if itll work yet but I'll need to tear into the trailer with a wire wheel and paint. In the long hitch tube I might be able to fill it with lead and cap it in concrete, and add a front jack.
It would probably help a little on a slippery boat ramp. And add some downward force. I also have a place nearby that does hotdip galvanizing. I might look into that but it sounds super complicated getting in done I'd have to strip the leaf springs, axle, ball hitch, wood, paint, and rust. And have it off the trailer...

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Roger designed the "23" after the pilot cutters from the days of sail when the first pilot who got to the incoming ship got the job. Absolutely retro design. Keep us posted on progress. send pics.

Aug 22, 2018
Macgregor Venture of Newport 23 Florida Coasts
I'm glad I found this forum. I just purchased a Mac 23 pretty cheap, as I was looking for a trailer-able boat. It seems to have all of the rigging and sails, but no lines. Can anyone help with what halyards, sheets, etc. I'll need to replace? I have the sailboatdata measurements and photos, and the Mac pdf for the 21_22_25, but want to be sure I don't overlook anything. Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 22, 2018
Macgregor Venture of Newport 23 Florida Coasts
Just Google "Blue Water Yachts" and they can set you right up.
Thank you for the resource! If I may ask, did the VoN 23 come with winches? If so, mine are missing. Would you know what size they are? I see some pictures with them and a few without.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If I may ask, did the VoN 23 come with winches?
You certainly may. The few pics I have checked out show no winches. Odd, huh?
Likely you could get away with just turning posts and jam cleats.

Jul 2, 2018
My vn23 came with 2x Arco 6 winches sorry I don't have a photo handy but they are common on eBay every now and then, with videos on YouTube showing disassembly and cleaning

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Winches were optional, as with a lot of other stuff, from the factory. Check ebay, etc. You may be able to pick up some cheap. Make sure they come with a handle or you can get a handle to match. If you get some back them up with metal, (aluminum) plates. Best practice.

Jul 2, 2018
Mine doesnt have any backing plates, just washers. But it's a good idea probably. On my boat the nylon fairleads will break first. Which I believe is factory as well.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I agree with Sumner. The Newport 23 is a handsome lady. You will definitely want to strap down the battery.