New to Hunters and over heating I think

Apr 8, 2017
Hunter Cherubini 36' chherubini Poughkeepsie
Just purchased a 1981. 36' hunter

First time ouut today (just dewinterized)

Motoring back 1/2 hr into iit the middle light and buzzer went unhappy
20 hp? Yanmar 3GMD? Or F. Don't know how to tell

Checked fresh water antifreeze pump
Impeller good, not damaged and pumping

Gong to check the salt water pump

Then check the elbow?
Not sure where it is but by the exhaust seems to be my guess

Can I attempt this while in the water?

HELP
The service guy couldn't find his ass with both hands and a map!
Told me hes not sure and has trouble getting parts (ebay uh?)

Totally lost at the moment and need to ship off from Philadelphia on Saturday to home in NY

Know anybody good if we cant get it done?

Sails Call NY. Not sailing now. SH17 F06K!

Apr 8, 2017
Not like a power boat or the bilge

More like splashes from the exhaust

Apr 8, 2017
I was going to take hatch off look for elbow and disconnect out side of sea pump and see if it's coming out

That would tell me if its going out from sea water pump

Then clog is further out
Or clogged before strainer
I think

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
It could also be air trapped at the top of the loop going to the hot water tank. Should have a valve to release the trapped air.

Could also be a blocked heat exchanger or sea water intake strainer.

Apr 8, 2017
Pulled the right side hose from sea pump (strainer out to pump in to hose out)

No water while engine is running

Bolts seem new, I wonder how old pump is and if there is a restriction in manifold or elbow out

Tried to follow hose but no luck went under cockpit

Should I just change the pump now or can I check it another way?

Apr 8, 2017
Can't find exchanger
Pump not putting out
Bolts are new wonder if it was changed and restriction burnt pump again
I'll ask old owner

Apr 8, 2017
Can't tell
But no water after pump
Pulled sea water pump

Impeller shot. Nothing left

Need to find motor type and i think I can change impeller only
Bearings good

Hope exchanger is not clogged and caused impeller to crap the bed

Not overly brittle parts but all broken up

Jul 23, 2009
The heat exchanger won't cause the impeller to fail but the missing parts of the impeller will plug the exchanger.

Apr 8, 2017
Yes in the Delaware river
Lots of snow running off
Lots of floating crap

Never had an inboard

If the impeller works and sends water out the back,

Not sure where, or how much.
Should i test with air some how ( fitting on hose and compressor )

Or pull elbow for maintenance after we get home

Sailing (motoring mostly) up east cost 150 - 200 nautical miles

I took German in college not shop!
I can say is that my pen and did I miss my bus
But i buy a new lawn mower each year - cant start it. - lol

Worked through the system.
Found screen has brittle gasket, both closed system and Sea water pump has no gasket at all
(Brass to Brass cover, had no leak?)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Take hose off where goes into pump and from intake strainer and water should pour in and if water comes in than hook back up and take hose off out put from the pump and if good follow out hose to heat exchanger and take apart and check for impeller parts or anything.
If impeller is bad need to clean or unclog intake strainer or thru hull.
Nick

Apr 8, 2017
How tough is it to take heat exchanger apart
May never have been apart
I have the Manuel now to find it

Jul 23, 2009
I don't think the heat exchanger will be hard to disassemble, but I have never done it. You will probably need new gaskets. I find that getting the correct replacement part is often the most difficult part of the job.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You should go at this systematically, starting with the raw water intake:
1) is the raw water intake thru-hull open? If not, open it. Make sure it operates smoothly and can be closed.
2) is the strainer full of junk? Remove the cap and clean out the strainer. Since the thru-hull is open, you should also be getting water overflowing the strainer. If so, thru-hull is not plugged. If no water is flowing out of the strainer, your thru-hull is probably plugged up.
3) check raw water impeller...remove cover and inspect impeller... all blades in place, any cracked or messed up? Is water coming out of the raw water pump? If you left the thru-hull open, and the strainer and thru-hull are not plugged up, you should have water flowing out of the pump. If so, close thru-hull and replace impeller cover.
4) heat exchanger... remove end cover where the raw water enters the heat exchanger. Check for bits of rubber and other junk that could be impeding the water flow. If heavily scaled, you may need to have it cleaned. You can remove the other end if you want, but I would only do it if I was going to remove the exchanger tubes for cleaning.
5) exhaust elbow...if you have the high-rise Yanmar elbow, it is hard to tell visually if it is plugged up. I have not tried this, but I would remove the exhaust hose from the riser, remove the water line from the riser and blow into the water fitting. If I could blow an unrestricted amount of air through the fitting, I would assume the elbow if fine.

I think you said she was putting out some water out of the exhaust, so I would be thinking some grass or other obstruction in the thru-hull or strainer, or a bad raw water impeller. After that, maybe some junk in the heat exchanger.

When I took delivery of my O'Day 322, I had a long day of motoring across Lake Michigan with wind and waves off my bow. 20 minutes out the harbor, engine working hard pushing through the waves, the engine alarm went off. Not knowing if it was oil pressure or water temp,I backed
Off the throttle a little, while thinking through options if the engine siezed up...
The the alarm stopped. I kept her under 3200 RPM's and made plans to spend the night somewhere on the East side of the lake, instead of heading across. Upon inspection of the engine that night in harbor, found no antifreeze in the heat exchanger. Apparently, something was leaking, and drained all of the AF under the engine pan. Filler with water and motored home the next day without incident.

Good luck on your investigation and voyage.

Greg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I don't know your yanmar but my 3YM30 has a round cap on the front hose from pump to it and another cap at rear and they have 3 bolts to take out and the caps easy to remove with o rings and with caps off check and see if tubes need cleaning amd I used proper size round rods to clean tubes,
Nick

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I wonder, can the original poster edit the post to move the thread to the Hunter forums, or does that require an admin?

Apr 8, 2017
OK GUYS. FIXED IT
Tally Ho had it thanks
Recently had boat dewinterized for its trip home with the company who winterized it

First day trial with the wife (Kim)

"Over heat alarm sounded.
Scared the shit ouut of me, thought I was going ttto loose the engine limping in the last 1/2 mile!

Blew the impeller

After all your help I found the part and bought two (the gasket is not right but I got gasket maker.
Works well without gasket so far

The winners at "Philadelphia boatt supply" never checked the raw sea water pump valve- WHIICHH THEY CLOSED!

Thanks for saving the day GUYS

Going to post a fiddle block question