new sailboater just bought a Sirius 21

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
Hello, not very computer literate either, retired last month, got a bug to be on Lake Erie here in Northeast Ohio after living on the Lake since 1981 ! (I'm into cars and didn't have money or time to do both).

looked at sailboats for sale. then googled the namebrands and for specs. Like the Sirius and got one TODAY ! 1981 in storage for about 10 years. Great looking hull, the swingkeel looks terrible ! great title forum topics. Will use those wood 'blocks' raise the boat and pull out trailer, lightly sand blast swingkeel and paint. SO... i'll google swingkeel, what is made of ? steel, casing? with lead?

ALso: got it for great price, but of course needs a main sail. Needs outboard engine too.. ughh those are expensive, any recommendation on Horsepower 5 or 8 ?

I'll read every post and check it out. Guess I got to take a 'sailboat course ! lol. Got a launch place in Madison Ohio just a mile away from my Lake house. I need an 'anchor' also. Figured I'd just motor around until I get the hang of 'sailing' ! Any info is appreciated !

Jul 19, 2009
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 #190 Dayton Ohio
Congratulations on your boat purchase and welcome to sailing! The keel is solid cast iron so sandblast away. As far as a motor size 5 HP will be fine just make sure it is a long shaft. Lower motor weight is important in these Sirius 21's because the stern sits down in the water a bit. This issue was fixed with a reverse transom on the later Sirius 22. My first motor was a 1983 Mariner 8 HP two stroke. I had the prop re-pitched to get it up to full rpm as i think it was designed for a higher hull speed. (John boat?) It weighed around 63 lbs and had ridiculous power. A few parts broke on it so last year I bought a 2005 Yamaha 6 HP four stroke. It has plenty of power but it weighs around 90 lbs and is heavy for this boat in my opinion. It is a little scary on the original outboard bracket so an upgrade is in the near future.

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
Congratulations on your boat purchase and welcome to sailing! The keel is solid cast iron so sandblast away. As far as a motor size 5 HP will be fine just make sure it is a long shaft. Lower motor weight is important in these Sirius 21's because the stern sits down in the water a bit. This issue was fixed with a reverse transom on the later Sirius 22. My first motor was a 1983 Mariner 8 HP two stroke. I had the prop re-pitched to get it up to full rpm as i think it was designed for a higher hull speed. (John boat?) It weighed around 63 lbs and had ridiculous power. A few parts broke on it so last year I bought a 2005 Yamaha 6 HP four stroke. It has plenty of power but it weighs around 90 lbs and is heavy for this boat in my opinion. It is a little scary on the original outboard bracket so an upgrade is in the near future.

THanks for the reply. I'm getting up in age and will consider a light weight ! the boat was sitting beside the road outside for sale but supposedly not in the water for ten years (storage), the registration sticker shows 1999. but there is water in most every 'compartment'. guessing major rain leaks somewhere. I have read a lot so far and people post about window leaks and other stuff. Got to learn 'sailing' terms and words ! Boat seem in great shape. bottom doesn't seem to even need a paint job but experienced neighbor says should paint 'anti-foul'. I want to get that cast iron painted. Got to left off trailer. Climbed aboard and cleaned the fiberglass interior most places. I bailed out about 10 gallons of water total. the fiber boards most need 'replaced'. WInter projects I don't mind. worried about the 'sink' drain. Ha ! welcome to boating.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
I would go with the smaller motor say 4-6 hp. We used a 3.5 on our 22 for several years and traveled all over Lake Superior and Lake Huron. We replaced it with a 7.5 which was more than enough. A friend has a 4 hp and we may do a swap as I sure would like the lighter weight. I have used standard shaft length motors but with the different transom on the 22 maybe the the mount is lower or drops down lower.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
I would go with the smaller motor say 4-6 hp. We used a 3.5 on our 22 for several years and traveled all over Lake Superior and Lake Huron. We replaced it with a 7.5 which was more than enough. A friend has a 4 hp and we may do a swap as I sure would like the lighter weight. I have used standard shaft length motors but with the different transom on the 22 maybe the the mount is lower or drops down lower.
Being a novice and reading everything I can, I decided on a 5 hp Honda four stroke, will double check its 'weight'. Hope to order on line and get free delivery. Was kicking around a propone 'motor' versus gas. I bought an emergency generator for my house that runs on either.

Hope to go to the local 1 mile away boat launch here in northeast ohio, Madison ohio. They did an upgrade no many years ago. looked at it last night. just to see how it 'floats' and get it off the boat trailer and see if swingkeel lowers. hope it will crank back up ! better oil the winch and cable. THanks for any info !

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Being a novice and reading everything I can, I decided on a 5 hp Honda four stroke, will double check its 'weight'. Hope to order on line and get free delivery. Was kicking around a propone 'motor' versus gas. I bought an emergency generator for my house that runs on either.

Hope to go to the local 1 mile away boat launch here in northeast ohio, Madison ohio. They did an upgrade no many years ago. looked at it last night. just to see how it 'floats' and get it off the boat trailer and see if swingkeel lowers. hope it will crank back up ! better oil the winch and cable. THanks for any info !
just remember to lift the keel off the trailer bed just before you back down the ramp so the boat comes off easier and to lower it back down after you load the boat back on the trailer. You don't want the weight carried by the winch when you drive down the road. It can be easy to forget with everything else going on. It's the first thing wife asks when we get into the car to drive away. Is the keel down?

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
just remember to lift the keel off the trailer bed just before you back down the ramp so the boat comes off easier and to lower it back down after you load the boat back on the trailer. You don't want the weight carried by the winch when you drive down the road. It can be easy to forget with everything else going on. It's the first thing wife asks when we get into the car to drive away. Is the keel down?
Thanks very much for the info. HOWEVER, things went so well to get ready, I ran off to the boat ramp before checking my email. SO>.... it seems to have gone well. I very graduatly back the trailer into the water, would get out and check, and back some more etc.

after awhile I got it to where it was floating just barely enough for the whole boat to float BUT not very much away from where the launching winch and cable are attached. Still a novice. Needed to see if the sink drain was going to leak. It did not, though the valve is a POS and a 'round' turning type, prefer the newer quarter turn on off type. anyway, not touching that .. seems like a fitting into a piece of wood, somehow and chaulked, seems fine. seemed like.. some little of bit of water coming in...

learned about the design of the boat. I had concentrated on the interior so much, I didn't look at the normal outside, sit down area. so.. sitting out there, still on the water attached to trailer, had some novice pictures taken, shooting the bull with fisherman and the guy who came with me. something made me lift the 'seat' on the starboard side... sure glad I did... it had water in it, more than say if rain had come in I guess... so I stuck my head down in to see the deck drain hose and ....lol, lol, it was NOT connected to the fitting out the 'stern' ! lol, lol, crazy... boat in storage 15 years.. turns out the hose is too short to connect back to piece of pipe /tubing at the stern, water was coming in, but just enough to be above water level and not a big concern at the dock. Frustrated I did not check it out sooner, was just anxious to see if sink drain was ok and if swingkeel would go down...

well... swingkeel went down and came back up with the winch. however, I did NOT adjust winch after on boat. so.. I'm confused on that subject. I see if it is addressed in the handbook and manual I was able to obtain on line. not sure what to do. Once the swingkeel went down and I was able to winch it back up... I 'kept' it tight with the winch. Got it back on the trailer, that has two big rollers that the swingkeel rests on, along with one each side carpet covered gizmos that hold the boat in place along with 4 each side rollers near the rear. I adjusted two front rollers for the keel to assist holding the Sirius 21 keel, so the boat seems to rest on all 'rollers' and carpeted holders. Sorry, don't know all the nautical terms yet !

Got the outboard ordered, hope it will be here Friday to 'motor' on Saturday, I do NOT have a main sail, nor do I know how to sail and hook up a sail ! lol. I don't understand how a 24 foot mast, sits into that bracket since it looks like it could come out easily but I haven't studied it, more than a quick glance.

So... any info is appreciated... wow it was cool sitting in the boat just at the ramp. cant wait till Saturday, can't wait to learn how to sail... i'm hooked... ok, the honey do list will have to wait ! lol, ... i'm still sleeping in the dog house on this purchase... As soon as I get 'cushions' for the boat... I can move to it ! lol, lol

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Read through the "leaking in the yard" thread as there is discussion and photos about the proper thru hull fitting for the sink. Sounds like you have a gate valve. They are notorious leakers and have no place in the hull of a boat. Post a photo of your mast step and the heel of the mast. Need to see if you have the OEM setup or something that has been modified before offering advice.

Mar 7, 2013
Sirius 21 Belews Lake
Welcome to sailing and congrats on the Sirius! I love the flexibility of trailering and the shallow draft of Sirius. You've found a great group here that always wanting to help fellow sailors. Your lucky to find that loose cockpit drain. A small leak like that will turn into an unstoppable gusher once it gets below the waterline. And although the Sirius is supposedly unsinkable, none of us want to be the one that demonstrates its neutral buoyancy.
I've also had to deal with leaking from the topside. Ultimately, the only way to fix it is to just remove all the through-deck hardware, clean it up. Then remount with plenty of 3M 4200. Never use caulk or silicone on your boat. Go get you some 4200 and 5200. 4200 is the best sealant but can still be scraped out later if needed. 5200 is a strong adhesive sealant, very hard to remove, even years later. I fixed my leaking "ports"(windows) by prying open the rubber gasket, blowing out the trash and moisture, then squirting in some black 4200 on a hot day. No more leaks, my cabin is dry as a bone now.

So..those carpeted board thingys, those are trailer bunks. Oh and there are no ropes on a sailboat. Yes they look like ropes, but they are "lines". Study the terminology online, its important for crew to be able to communicate and understand each other. It's usually not hard to find someone who will give sailing lessons on your boat. Call the marinas or look on Craigslist.

Your mast step should have a slot in it that the mast slips into. The mast step doesn't support the mast at all. It just holds it in place on the deck. The Shrouds and Stays hold the mast upright and keep it centered.

I just did a bottom job on my Sirius, not a fun job. My keel was covered with rusty scabs. I was amazed how easy it just scraped off. I dont think sandblasting would be worth while, unless you want to remove the keel and apply an epoxy barrier coating. Otherwise it's just gonna rust again, so just scrape it and slap some paint on, then go sailing.

I say, never leave the dock without your anchor. If your engine fails or rudder breaks, the anchor is the only thing that might keep you from drifting into the rocks or other dangers. Propane on board it not great either, it can accumulate in the cabin and explode or become CO.

Learning to sail is best done in 4-9 knots of wind. I found a great app called Windfinder. It shows your areas wind forecast and it's very accurate. I look at it almost everyday. Just to see how many great sailing days get by me.

This forum is probably your best resource for sailors helping sailors. Post some pics of your Sirius, we all love pictures.

Attachments

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
Need Sirius 21 sailboat info plz

OK... got the sail cover unwrapped and its the main sail. Great news. Now, I need a cable that goes from back of boom up to ...what part of main sail or mast. I'm guessing its a cable (or rope) that goes to the top of main sail down to boom.

anyone got a 'length' I need. I'm closer.

One more info... can I sail in small winds with just a main sail. I don't have a 'jib'.

Thanks

Going motoring, since I have not mastered, raising and lowering the mast.

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
I think I figured it out... sitting in the house.. watching the Sirius 21 video posted by mavic00, with the music AWOLNATION-Sail. I see something coming down from top of mast.. obviously the cable to goes to stern and then another.. blowing more into the wind.. implying possibly a rope.... which I have that has two knots/lopes in it.. which I was using to pull up the mast into place. (Sorry, I have been reading a lot but not using the nautical terms yet. the back of the boom has the clip in it, and i'll guess the rope comes down and clips onto the back of the boom. will have to try it and see if my hunch is right. lol, lol. Would be nice to have a Sirius handbook or manual that details that.

Please provide any info as I prepare to learn sailing by going right out into the water ..on a very calm day.. close to sure.. with my brand new 5 HP 4 stroke ready should I need it !...

Thanks

Jul 19, 2009
It is called a "topping lift" and prevents the boom from dropping to the deck (and from hitting you in the head) when the mainsail is not hoisted. The sail when hoisted will support the boom and then the topping lift should be a tad slack so it does not interfere with the shape of the sail. I think mine is 1/4" diameter dacron (low stretch line made for halyards).I recommend you find an experienced sailor in your area to help you out with the boat setup and getting sailing. Without a headsail (jib) most sloops (boats with one mast and fore and aft sails) wont sail to weather (closer to upwind than down wind) very well. It will add to your frustration of learning to sail. A used jib should be somewhat easy to find as they do not need to be as "fitted" as a main.

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
thanks very much for the info on the boom. Hope to go out this morning with the outboard for just a little while to get use to the sailboat. Will keep working on practice raising and lowering the mast. Ok.. time to find a jib sail, any places recommended. I read about 'unfurler' type of gizmo ? seen in the youtube video too.

thanks for the patience as I learn and duck around the Honey Do list playing with the boat !

Got to tackle the electrical on the boat next. A friend gave me a 4 year old marine battery. Wonder how long those new lithium ion type of recharge drill motor batteries last if i'm only using it for the mast and deck lights? Much lighter than carry a heavy marine battery aboard. I see in the video's those solar panels on the stern.

Jul 19, 2009
You do not need a furler for the jib. It is mostly for convenience although some people may argue that it is a safety item. My boat has never had one. Make sure you purchase a "hank on sail". The "hanks" are clip things that allow the jib to be raised and lowered while being attached to the forestay. You will need to measure the length of forestay and subtract at least a foot for the luff length. The length of the foot and leech are not as critical but can change the sailing characteristics of the boat. I can't recommend a place to buy used sails but just search for them on the internet.

Also I want to make sure you realize that when stepping (raising) the mast all shrouds and the backstay are connected. Only the forestay and baby stay are not connected until the mast is in position. The first time you do this two or three people are recommended. Once the forestay and baby stay are attached then the turnbuckles can be adjusted. Make them somewhat tight but not too tight. You will figure it out eventually. After the boat is launched you may find some of them have tightened or loosened a bit because of hull flexing. When unstepping the mast you would just loosen and remove the forestay and the baby stay. The others would stay connected and already be adjusted for the next time. (they will need periodic adjustment though)

The capacity of a deep cycle battery vs a drill battery is probably over a hundred times. Using a drill battery might work if you used a 14.4 Volt and switched out the incandescent bulbs for LEDs. My 12V Bosch batteries are really 10.8V for some reason. Also the old wiring may have a lot of resistance so even with the LEDs the drill battery may not last long at all.

Aug 17, 2015
Sirius 21 Madison Ohio
Thanks very much, I really appreciate any info. Had the boat out this morning at NE Ohio, Lake Erie, very calm day... got to 'motor' around get use to launching and loading the boat back on the trailer... had a heck of time getting it lined back up on the trailer after 1/2 hour messing around, finally got it lined well on trailer.

Yes.. I figured out watch a youtube video and 'common sense' the mast needs the cables connected except the 'front' ones.. sorry.. will take a way to get the terminology down. At this point, just have a retired guy just going only with me and my 30 year old kids and no one has experience. That won't stop me.

Went on ebay and looked at jibs. will check the local marina and using that dimension will consider jibs. Surprised after all these years of Sirius boats.. not many videos.

Took a lot of pictures of houses on the lake shore since I live on the lake... Got more honey do list fix up the house better for lake side ! (after 30 years !)... but 'calm' days.. I'm going out.

Will make a gizmo with a 2x8 board, put in back of my large pickup truck tailgate area, with Walmart portable power winch and make a long 2X2 wood with a pulley at top to be able to raise and lower the mast by myself. Surprisingly not many people ..sail...around here and really for short time I'm happy to go out with just a few people. Later I keep learning sailing... will practice raising and lowering main sail on land first along with jib if I can find one right away.

Thanks again for any info !